1| ''Excuse you''

A/N: Picture of the mansion in media.

'Come on Keira! We're running late!'

'I'm coming!' I shouted back, shutting my journal before stuffing it into the bottom of my backpack.

Today was the day of moving. We weren't exactly moving house, there was no 'we'. I would be moving, alone, to the bustling city of Metaine. When my parents passed away three years ago, there had been no news from my uncle Edmund at all. All I knew about him was that he was a presence in the city but I'd never seen him, or at least I was never able to conjure up any memories of this particular man.

My parents had told me that he'd seen me once when I was five, but that his work had kept him away for every single holiday after. There weren't even pictures of him in the house, and I hadn't thought of googling him until Rosie - my mother's best friend - urged me to several months after my parents' death.

He was my last living relative who I hadn't seen for the last twelve years, who hadn't reached out for me for the past three. Now, out of the blue, two weeks earlier, there had been a message.

He wanted to see me.

I sighed, scanning my small cosy room once more. For the past three years Rosie had taken me in, a secret we had kept from the social workers who thought I lived in the city with uncle Edmund. As my mother's best friend, Rosie had felt that I should stay with her. After all, she had seen me grow up, and she insisted that I live with her when Edmund soon made clear that he just could not take in an emotional fourteen year old who had just lost her parents. From his formal letter I could only assume that his secretary had been made clear to voice very clearly that I just did not fit into his 'living style'.

Whatever made them think I would now fit was a mystery to me.

'Keira! Seriously!' Rosie's shouts echoed through the cottage house and I grumbled under my breath before shutting my room door.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

'I should drive,' I suggested for the third time as I watched Rosie's fidgety fingers dancing across the steering wheel of her old Chevy truck.

The redhead shot me a panicked gaze, 'No way that I'm going to let your uncle Edmund think that I'm some irresponsible adult. And plus,' she bit her lip before turning back to the road ahead of her, 'you haven't even gotten your license yet'.

I groaned, pressing my head into the seat behind me, 'You know I can drive, that piece of paper shouldn't matter'.

'What would Ryane say? Oh I never should've taught you how to drive!'

'Mom isn't here to chastise us,' I mumbled, turning my head to look at the scenery outside.

Rosie's breath caught in her throat with the usual sound before she clucked her tongue, 'You know that's not what I meant'.

'I know,' I sighed, 'I just wish I knew what uncle Edmund wants with me. After all, he did make it very clear that he'd rather not deal with his emotional niece three years ago'.

'I know,' Rosie whispered, 'I don't know why either'.

'I don't want to go to Metaine,' I murmured, turning back to look at Rosie.

After the years she'd had to put up with me. With all my issues and school problems. After a year of unbearable depression, she agreed to have me home schooled and I was forever thankful to her for not making me face the stares and whispers of my old high school hallways.