2.3

Dick had taken me shopping earlier, though the trip was rather silent. He was distant, deep in thought. Right now, Dick was down the hall changing into his suit.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

The modern clock on the far wall echoed through my eardrums, syncing with the pounding in my chest. It was five o'clock, and I still hadn't showered. Come to think of it, I hadn't bathed since my last night in the Himalayas. Ew.

Quickly, I stripped down to my birthday suit and stepped into the tub. Scorching hot water soothed the scars scattered across my bare body. Each had their own story, ones that I wasn't willing to discuss with anyone. Before Catwoman found me, I was a broken little kid. I suffered over and over again every day until I exploded like a supernova, and she swept me up and fixed me.

Flashbacks swarmed my head, bouncing off like a rubber ball. Faces flashed like images and my brain pulsed against my skull. I closed my eyes and breathed in.

"(y/n)?" Dick's voice boomed through the bathroom as the door creaked open.

"Ahh!" I shrieked, slipping and falling right on my butt on the ceramic bathtub. 

The condensation on the doorknob freed his grip, and he came tumbling down with me with an, "Oof."

"Dick," I yelled over the loud splashing of the water. "There's something called knocking. You should really try it sometime."

"Well, it is my apartment." He shrugged. "Alfred is here with the limo. Just wanted to check on you."

"He's here? Now?" I asked in shock. "It's only like five-something, though."

"Five-thirty," Dick corrected.

"What?"

"I said I came to check on you." He began searching through a cabinet, grabbing a towel and handing it to me above the sliding glass door. Graciously, I took it before his eyes started to wander. "You've been in here for a while." While he was turned away, I slipped on my undergarments and he unhooked my dress, smoothing it out and setting it on the counter.

As he was trapped in his own world, I took the time to admire him. His coal-black hair was gelled down, freshly combed, and his dark lashes seemed to curl more around his bright blue eyes. A navy blue suit hugged his body, his muscled legs clinging tightly to the fabric. No bow or tie strangled his collar. In fact, the top two buttons were undone entirely. He looked so disorderly, yet he had everything together. He looked like a model from a magazine, and he probably was.

Carefully, I slipped the sleeveless dress over my toweled hair and tightened the thin black leather belt that separated the black heart-shaped corset from the rest of the gown. Like silk, the skirt swayed, the colors mixing like a disturbed rainbow. Black hugged my waist, slowly turning into purple at the knees, pink at the ankles, and white at the feet. It was absolutely gorgeous. Stunning.

I applied some concealer to match my skin tone, thick black mascara to highlight my lashes, and light red blush to finish it off. Afterwards, I tied my hair into a braided upward bun, leaving strands at each side and was ultimately astonished at my unbelievable transformation.

After taking spins around the room and staring into the mirror for a good ten minutes, I decided I was ready. Although, I wouldn't have guessed that the woman staring back at me was still the same little girl that haunted my insides after all this time.

Slipping through a pair of silver stilettos, Dick opened the door and followed me out.

"Since when do you wear heels?" he asked, using the rail to guide him down the steep steps.