1.15

"What's wrong with her? What happened?" Throughout the entire ride in the Batmobile, I was on full fire with the questions, but no matter how many times I asked, Bruce, now Batman, wouldn't give me an answer. 

He stomped on the accelerator as we turned a corner, then on the break. My eyebrows knit together as I looked up at the house Selina raised me in. 

"Why are we here?" My voice was shaky. 

No one asked about what I saw or why I collapsed at the Manor. Bruce gave me a wary look, but that was about it. Any time Dick asks, Bruce shut him down. It was as if he knew something I didn't. And maybe he did.

"Follow my lead. Not a single noise from either of you, got it?" We nodded and Batman grappled to the roof. We followed in suit.

Dick and I hid behind some thrashed crates.

"Selina," Batman cooed. "Calm down. Everything is okay." He was different with her. He always was. Gentle.

"Stay away from me!" she shrieked. "You stole my daughter! You and that wretched bird boy!" I had never seen her so shaken up before, and it was frightening. I wanted to step out into the light, show her that I was still here and perfectly okay, but Batman's words rang in my ears.

Follow my lead.

Robin put his hand on my shoulder, probably to keep me put. I peered around the corner of the wooden crate, watching and waiting.

Mother threw a punch, but her hits were blind and weak from alcohol. Batman easily deflected them. He caught her fist for the second time and flipped her onto her back. She tried to get up and regain her footing, but Batman held her down. I took a few steps forward, fearing for her, but Dick kept me still. I was shaking.

"Stop," I squeaked. He was hurting her.

Selina's head darted in my direction. "Kitten? Is that you?"

I came out from hiding and slowly stepped forward, nodding. "I'm okay, mom. No one hurt me."

Batman growled. "Stay away. She's dangerous and unstable." 

Blood trickled down her cheek and from the corner of her lips. She looked devastated. Tears began to swell my eyes. Her voice echoed in my head. Never show your weakness. She thrashed in his arms but he held firm. She was choking. 

Fear rose in my throat. I couldn't sit and watch any longer. She was my true family, there from the beginning. She was my beginning, and I couldn't let anything happen to her. This was my fault, my mess, and I needed to fix it. 

I charged Batman and shoved his hand the slightest bit so she could get free. "You hurt her! You hurt my family! My home!" I threw a messy punch out of anger, but he dodged it with ease. Black Canary had taught us to make the battle on our own terms. So I did.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Robin race at me. He swung first, and I ducked as Batman threw a kick. I felt my control on time rise and I plucked at the strings aligned so beautifully, like a piano's, before me. I grabbed his black boot and lifted it. 

As he leaned back, I let go of my hold and time sped up again. He fell to the ground, but swiftly got back onto his feet. I threw a punch at Robin, and he leaned back, just missing his nose, and stood ready again.

I couldn't fight them both at the same time.

Batman was ready to throw another punch, and Robin was releasing a birdarang.

Once again, I shut my eyes and grabbed onto the strings I pictured before me, visualizing their elasticity. I plucked them one by one like playing a harp, though no music was produced. My body felt tight.