2.Prologue

Through my left ear, I heard the soft snore of a young boy. His shaggy black hair sprawled out messily across his forehead as he rested his head on my shoulder, sitting between my crossed legs. His small figure seemed adorable in his little black league robes, but in reality, he was quite the opposite: deadly. 

My tailbone was growing numb from the rough, uneven tiles of the temple's roofing as the day turned into night. The light in the sky dimmed as the bright, silver moon took its place among the glimmering stars. In the distance, a moving ball of light lit a path in the inky sky.

"Damian, wake up." I shook the boy. "Come on. Wake up, Damian!" I shouted as loud as I could while continuing to speak in a whisper.

"What do you want," he groaned, positioning himself so he was more comfortable in my lap.

"Look!" I raised my voice a few octaves to get my point across while I pointed toward the ball of light racing across the warm painted sky. "Or you're going to miss it!"

His green eyes, filled with tiredness and sleep-deprivation, revealed themselves in the shadow of his thick, black eyelashes. "It's a shooting star..." he stated in a 'duh' manner.

"I know. I've never seen one before! Isn't it beautiful," I spoke in awe of the sight.

"You woke me up for a stupid shooting star!" he yelled, his voice consumed with rage. "You can form one in your freaking hand! Why would you wake me up for that!"

"Quiet down, Damian. They might hear us! It's after curfew. We'll get in trouble," I shushed, looking to my left and right for men in black robes similar to Damian's.

"No we won't. Mother loves us too much." His expression was sure and straight as he lay his head back onto my shoulder while snuggling my arm into his small yet strong chest, his soft snores returning as soon as he shut his dazzling green eyes.

The little black-haired troublemaker raced down the corridor, his laughter bouncing off the walls. He had his mother's bright green eyes, except his were much less terrifying and experienced.

"Try to catch me, (y/n)!" he giggled, zooming with his arms like an airplane. 

His short legs waddled quickly, but I was faster. And much, much taller. The small eight-year-old, though very wise for his age, was no match for me. I chased him down the hallway, dodging booby traps and poison-tipped arrows. This was just the average day for the two of us. 

I lunged for him and wrapped my arms around him. "Ha! Gotcha, Damian."

He wiggled out of my hold and scrunched up in the corner. "That's no fair. You cheated!"

I stood and put my hands on my hips. "Did not."

"Did, too!"

"Did. Not."

"Did. Too."

"Neither of you cheated." Talia's voice echoed in the training room we had tumbled into. She gave her son a stern look. "Damian, go get changed. I need to speak with (y/n) about something important."

He bowed and obliged, leaving the two of us alone. After all this time, Talia had somehow become a sort of mother figure to me, as Damian had become like the little brother I never had. It was just the two of us to keep each other company here in a fortress full of highly trained ninjas.

"Ra's has a guest." Talia stood up from the mat she was meditating on. "I ask that you make sure he doesn't escape after he is regenerated." 

I was beyond enthusiastic. This was the first thing Talia ever asked for my help. Well, besides being Damian's babysitter. Excitement burst in my stomach, and I accidentally let out a giddy giggle. Widening my eyes, I shut my mouth and nodded vigorously.