Tears...and More

"No! Thranduil!" I rushed toward him, taking his arm. He was as hard as stone, cold and unforgiving beneath my fingers. "Please understand."

     "You want to leave, you may." His voice was cold and heartless, and it brought tears to my eyes. Never, never did I think he would use that tone with me.

     "I don't. I don't want to leave, not without you." He still didn't move, didn't show his face to me. 

      I pushed through the water, painfully slow, and stood in front of him, taking his other arm. I gazed up at him, eyes pleading, but he didn't look at me, his eyes on the forest. They were cold, a steely ice blue, impenetrable. My words meant nothing, giving no reaction. I had never admitted feelings for him, and that demanding kiss from so long ago seemed distant and unreachable. My eyes teared, and I blinked them away, leaving frigid trails down my cheeks.

     I gently set my hand on his cheek, his jaw clenching against my palm. This man, this impossible man. He was as still as the air as I raised myself up and gently, as gently as possible, set my lips on his. His skin was so cold so soft. 

     It was like kissing the dead.

     The image of empty blue eyes stabbed my mind and I latched on to him, sagging. "Don't leave me." Wrapping my arms around his neck, my head fell to his chest, chilling my cheek. Finally a gasping sob escaped and I hung there, breathing heavily through silent tears.

     Slowly, so painfully slowly, his shoulders slumped and the curve of his jaw bowed on my head. Suddenly his arms wrapped around me, crushing me to him. "Aeolus." It was a soft, breathless whisper, and I held onto it.

      He leaned down and kissed me.

     It's the kind of kiss that I've been dying for since I was born.

     His lips are supple, his touch tender. He strokes my hair gently.

      He licks my lips- a probing, wet glide- then touches my tongue with his. Electric sensations zip from the tip of my tongue down to my toes and back again.

     I feel like I'm drowning in him. Who knew such a thing existed? I open my mouth and grab him tighter, almost climbing into his arms.

     We kiss wildly for what seems like a year, for what is only a millisecond. My breath is ragged, and it feels like I can't get enough air. My insides are melting, flowing like lava through my body.

     Then he stops.

     He takes a deep breath and steps back, holding me at arms length.

     I groggily take a step toward him on pure instinct. My eyelids feel heavy, and I just want to get lost in the sensation that is Thranduil.

      There is a mix of longing and sadness in his eyes, but he's not letting me get any closer.

     I blink, snapping to my senses, and spoke in the clearest firmist voice I could muster. "I am not leaving."

      The desperation in his eyes stays for a moment longer, then finally gives in and he pulls me to him. His skin is shockingly warm while mine clammy and I'm shivering against him.

     "Why are you so afraid of me leaving?" I whispered the words, never would I have dared to dig into his past, but never had I been so close to him before.

     "My wife died and my son can never return home for the pain of seeing the woman he loves. Losing you would be too much loss to bear. For all our wisdom and might, immortality does not soften pain." He didn't hesitate, but spoke them truly, as if just waiting to let them out.