The Waiting

I was so angry that by the time I was put back in my cell I couldn't sit, pacing back and forth in the small space, going over the conversation again and again. What could I have done different? Could I have changed the outcome?

"What did he ask you lass?" It was Balin, a cell over from how he sounded.

"Stupid questions. Where I'm from, about my hair. Always my hair. Why did I choose this color." I mumbled the last bit to myself. I knew why, cause it looks fucking awesome. Doesn't work so well here. "Does anyone know what happened to Bilbo, if he's alive at least."

"We don't know, we lost him in the forest." Was Balin's reply.

"But he's disappeared plenty of times before," Dwalin piped up. "And he's always returned."

I'm sure the look I gave to that was a sight to see. How could they be fine with that?! "And you're okay with that?!"

"Bilbo is a very cunning and capable Hobbit, there's no need to worry yourself." That was Thorin, I was sure of it.

"That's why he's the burglar after all." Another voice added.

"Burg- What is a hob-bit!?" It was silent for longer than I liked. Had I finally said too much?

But Balin, very calmly and quietly decided to respond to me. "Lass, where are you from?"

I breathed heavily for a moment, still frustrated from my encounter with the king. "Not a place with dwarves, elves, wizards and-and hob-bits. This is all very new and very strange for me." I finally sank to my seat, suddenly exhausted. "But I've heard stories of them of course." I rushed to add, which wasn't a lie.

"Didn't get out much did'ja." I chuckled at that. I got out plenty. "You're much like Bilbo in that sense. Hobbits live very quiet peaceful lives, preferring to farm and garden, enjoying eating and smoking-"

"And drinking."

"And eating!"

"...yes." Balin continued. "And they very much dislike adventures. In fact, Bilbo pointedly refused us when we first entered his doorstep."

"If it was all thirteen of you on my doorstep I would too." A few chuckled at that. "Sounds like a perfect life. Why did he change his mind?"

"I suppose, he saw this as his last chance at an adventure." There was a bit of pause, then, "Do not doubt yourself Aeolus, you're carrying on strongly. Besides," He added. "I think having a feminine presence in the company would be good to keep the lads in check."

"I for one! Refuse to be put in line by a woman!" Shouted, I believe, Fili. Grumbling of agreements from all the men echoed off the stone walls. I laughed at that and soon they all joined.

Finally calmed, I slumped against the bench. "Thank you Balin."

After that we all rested. Bread and water were brought to our cells and I scarfed money down with abandon, not knowing how hungry I was.

And there we sat, and sat. And I just delved in my mind looking back at all I had been through, every crazy event I had seen. Hours must have passed, but suddenly there was an elf guard at my door again, opening my cell and ushering me out.