The Audience - Sugawara x Reader

"I've fallen in love with my best friend." Y/n said to the audience in front of her, a gentle smile on her face as she thought of the platinum haired boy. The audience gasped in shock. "There, I've said it. It wasn't supposed to happen; we were only meant to be best friends, after all. But, he smiled at me in just the right way and I was hooked, falling for him as quickly as I possibly could."

She tapped her chin, a thoughtful look on her face as she grabbed her microphone and brought it closer to her face. "He didn't know, of course, at first. It was kind of hard to keep it in when all you wanted to do was screech out in excitement because he barely touched your shoulder, or locked eyes with you in exasperation at his team," the audience laughed loudly at this, including Daichi, "but I managed through it. I stayed as his sweet, though not as sweet as him, best friend who knew more about him than anyone. Even the captain of the team."

Y/n moved back into her original position, a look of distraught on her face. "Things only got more complicated as time went on, however. It was harder to keep my feelings in, harder for me to accept that he was only going to be my friend, and nothing more. It was worse when Tsukishima found out, because he teased me and pestered me relentlessly about it." She laughed quietly to herself, "But that's okay, because I got him back with teasing about a certain freckled-faced boy." She winked and the volleyball team laughed, jabbing into Tsukishima's and Yamaguchi's ribs as they blushed.

"Eventually," the (h/c) haired girl brought the attention back to herself with her words, "I couldn't keep it in anymore. I had to tell someone! So, against my better judgment at the time, I told Hinata, Kageyama, Tanaka, and Nishinoya." The audience groaned in an exasperated way, and Y/n nodded her agreement. "Right! What was I thinking? But I was a love sick, teenage girl, and I figured they'd tease me the least." She shrugged casually. "I was right about that...

"Their preferred form of torture was trying to get me to confess my feelings for him." She smiled brightly, despite what her words were. "I'll have to say, they were exceptionally creative, though. Like..." She paused for emphasis, "really creative." Y/n closed her eyes, reminiscing for a moment the antics of her high school friends before exploiting them to her audience. "Yeah, 'cause there was this one time where, uh, they wanted to take us out for ice-cream, and then mysteriously all had to leave!"

With a wink, Y/n continued, "It definitely wasn't suspicious at all. But, alas, I managed to survive the ordeal without confess, thwarting their plans. They didn't give up, though, and their ideas only got craftier as time went on! They tried making him jealous by flirting with me, they tried to trick him into believing that I was moving schools..." The audience 'oohed' at this, and the (e/c) eyed girl laughed.

"Daichi was pissed when he found out. We didn't have to clean the gym ourselves for a week!" Suddenly, she had a more somber look on her face, and the audience's laughter died down.

"Finally, however, he did find out." She grabbed the stool that had been provided for her, sitting down on it as she adjusted the microphone stand to her height. "It, uh, it was a practice game between our high school and one of our enemy teams, Seijoh?" A few members in the audience, noticeably Oikawa and Iwaizumi, yelled out in pride for their team. She smiled her acknowledgement before continuing her story. "Right, those guys. Well, their captain at the time, Trashykawa, wouldn't stop flirting with me. He got in my comfort zone, tried to get me to cheer for his team, and was very clingy after the game."

Y/n scratched the back of her head with awkwardness, "Yeah... Needless to say, my best friend wasn't exactly happy about it. We got into a bit of an argument afterwards, this," she held her fingers barely a hair apart, "close to each other as it got more and more intense. Finally, when it was to the peak of the yelling match, I yanked him towards myself and kissed him. He was in so much shock, he feinted!"

She gave the audience a bright smile, making their hearts melt. "So, yeah, I fell in love with my best friend. It wasn't supposed to happen, but it's okay because-" Suddenly, Sugawara came up onto the stage from behind the stage, yanking at the girl and pressing their lips together. They kissed for a moment while the audience gasped, before Y/n pulled away with a goofy grin, "he's fallen in love with me too."

They left the stage,hand-in-hand, to the sound of cheers. Their talent-show submission had been a success.