Chapter Six: The Reaping

Chapter Six

The Reaping

Today is the day I always dread. I'm dreading it even more this year. It's the day of the Reaping and it's also the day I get sent to my death.

I clean myself with the warm water I heated a few minutes on the stove. After making sure I got all the dirt off of me, I put on my best dress. Dressing up isn't a normal thing in District two. If you see someone dressed up it can mean one of two things; it's Reaping day or a funeral is about to start. Either way, it's never a good sign.

I decide to wear my long, black hair down for the first time in months. It's down to my hips so it would just get my way during training. That's why I always wear to up but today even if I wasn't going to volunteer, there wouldn't be training. Training ended yesterday and doesn't start back until after the games are over. I won't be here for it though so it doesn't matter.

I take a look at myself in the old, dusty mirror hanging on the wall before going to meet my father in the living room. He's sitting there nervously tapping his foot. I sit down beside him and lean again the couch. I feel his eyes on me but I don't look at him.

"We'll eat when The Reaping is over."

No, you'll come see me in the Justice Building when The Reaping is over. You'll probably yell at me for volunteering then tell me that I better come home. Not that you care if I come home. You'll probably be hoping I'll die.

"Okay."

"Well, we better start making our way to the town square."

I nod and stand up. He starts walking out the door and I follow behind him.

As we make our way toward town square, I look around at everyone. It's easy to tell who is scared and who isn't. The only age group that is allowed to show their fear is the 12 year olds. It's their first year so it's normal to be scared and nervous. By the time you're my age you shouldn't be fearful anymore. That doesn't mean that no one isn't fearful though. We just don't show it. I know I'm scared out of my mind. Maybe it's just because I'm volunteering.

We reach town square and part our  separate ways. I stand in line, waiting to get my finger pricked. They do this to make sure every kid 12-18 is here. The women takes my blood then a peacekeeper points me in the direction I need to go. I stand in the middle of 15 year old girls, waiting for it to begin.

The mayor finally walks on the stage and starts reciting the speech he gives every year. It just tells us how we got here today and the reason for The Hunger Games. After he finishes, the capital escort comes on stage.

"Welcome, welcome. I'm here today to choose the lucky male and female tributes for District two. Isn't that exciting?"

Everyone claps in responds.

"Now, ladies first."

She walks over to the big bowl that's full of little white paper with everyone's name on one or more. She reaches inside and pulls one out. She smiles then walks back to the center of the stage. She opens the paper then clears her throat.

"Clove Kentwell!"

I open my mouth to scream, 'I volunteer' but then I notice everyone is staring at me. Wait, she said my name. I let out a heaving breath then smile. Everyone starts moving out of my way as I start walking towards the stage. I climb the steps and stand where she tells me to.

"Do I have any volunteers?" No one says a word so she continues," Okay then, on with the male tribute!"

She walks over to the other bowl and pulls out a paper. She walks back to center then smiles. She opens the paper and clears she throat.

"Rye Avery!"

A small boy starts walking towards the stage, looking so scared. He stands on the other side and looks down.

"Do we have any volunteers?"

"I volunteer as tribute!" says a voice I  would know anywhere.

Cato climbs the stairs and comes to stand next to the escort.

"What's your name?"

"Cato Hadley."

"Cato Hadley!" she repeats in her high pitched voice.

She makes us shake hands and I notice his cold look for the first time. He look so mad right now. I hope it's just for the cameras.

"Clove Kentwell and Cato Hadley! The tributes for this years Hunger Games!"

After everyone claps, peacekeepers usher us into the Justice Building and into a room. I sit on the soft, red chair as I wait for my father to come.

The door opens and I see my fathers face. He doesn't look sad but he isn't happy either.

"I can't believe no one volunteered for you! You can't possibly win against Cato!"

"So you think I'm going to die?"

"No, of course not."

I start to open my mouth but he starts talking again," You're going to win or I'll disown you! I promise you that!"

If I don't win, you'll never see me alive again. Just in a box a few days later. So go ahead and disown me.

"Okay, I'll try to win," I lie.

"You better do more than try. You never miss so you better get a knife when you enter that arena."

"I will."

He gives me a cold look before walking out of the room.

I don't understand him. He doesn't think I can win against Cato but he wants me to win? He confuses me so much but it doesn't matter. Nothing matters anymore. I just need to try my best to get Cato home, alive.