Chapter Thirty Five - When Trouble Comes Knocking

Bắt đầu từ đầu

I slowly waded to the center off the river, where the water only reached my waist; it was a bit chilly but I only needed to wash up. I heard someone approached and ducked under the water, only peeking up a bit, to see Aden holding a bag and my sword in his arms. “I brought your things, Thorin says to hurry, we can make it to the place within two hours” Aden called to me and I nodded, before swimming towards where the water is very shallow before getting out. Aden turned around, blushing as he saw me exiting the water and I smiled at his back. “You can go, Aden. I have my sword, I should be fine” I told him and he nodded before running off, not once looking back.

I smiled fondly as he disappeared from sight, before turning to my bag and finding an appropriate change of clothes. I stripped out of the wet chemise and dried myself before dressing in another and putting on a fresh pair of pants with a pale-green tunic. I combed out my hair quickly before putting it into a loose braid to the side, I packed up my things, and grabbed my sword. I walked back to the camp site to find that the tents had all been packed away and the men sat around several small fires, eating breakfast. Looking around, I realized that there was a small group of only women. I did not know there were other women here. I walked towards where I last saw Thorin and I tent, only to bump into one of the men. “Apologies, Thorin is over there with the boy” he spoke and I simply nodded before turning on my heels and walking towards the direction he had pointed out.

I found Thorin with Aden, bent over and tending to a small brown dove. “Thorin, Aden” I called and they both turning and looked at me; “What happened to it?” I inquired, pointing to the feathered creature in Aden’s hand. “I found it yesterday, its wing was damaged” Aden said softly, as he stroked the dove’s head tenderly. The creature, simply nuzzled its beak into the boy’s hand and I smiled softly at it. “Valin!” I heard someone shout and I immediately turned towards the sound, it was Thror. “Yes?” I asked and he thrusted a plate of bread and sausages into one hand and a mug of ale into the other; “Eat, we are leaving soon” he practically ordered and I nodded before he walked away.

“I refuse to drink this” I muttered into the cup and Aden and Thorin laughed, I rolled my eyes before sitting in the grass beside them. Completely focusing on eating the bread and sausage and not drinking the ale. “If you are not going to drink it, do not waste it” Thorin scolded jokingly as he took the mug from me and downed it, himself. “Here, and bring her some water” he ordered a passing man, “Yes Jarl” the man said as he took the now empty mug away. Mere moments later, he returned with a cup of water for me; “Thank you” I told him, before taking a sip of the cool liquid and he nodded in response before leaving us. “Thorin, who are the other women here?” I asked him, my eyes darting over to the group that sat, eating. “They are some of the best shieldmaidens I know, outside of the village. One of them is Dain’s wife, Fregya” he explained and I nodded, looking over to them once more before finishing eating.

“Okay Lads, Lassies! It is time to move out if we want to get there before midday” Bain shouted and there was suddenly a flurry of activities. Everyone properly doused their fires, strapped their bags to their horses and got rid of any evidence that we were there. My plate and cup were taken away and I was ushered to my horse, I mounted Vana and waited for Aden to put his bird away before climbing on behind me. Once the Jarls were ready, we moved out. I somehow found myself in the group of women and Fregya was riding beside me. “You are Thorin’s lass?” she asked and I looked at her, “I believe so” I said, softly and she smiled; “You are, in all my years, I have never seen the man so smitten with a woman” she giggled and I felt my face heat up some. “And by the look of it, you are too” another woman mused, causing them all to laugh and my face to turn scarlet with a blush. I joined them in several conversations along the way and we became friends quickly, I even learned a few things from them.

Thorin’s Pov…
I smiled as I looked at Valin, who was deep in conversation with Fregya and the other women; “Look at him, absolutely smitten, he is” Bain laughed and my brothers as well as Dain laughed. “What?” I asked, my eyes darting quickly to Valin, who was currently looking at me. I sent her a smile and she blushed before looking away, making me smirk, and the other women laughed as well. “Exactly” Bain chuckled and I rolled my eyes.

“What should one do, if they tell someone they love them, but that person forgets?” I asked them and the laughter stopped and they looked at me. “You told her you loved her?” Thror asked and I nodded; “What did she say?”, “When did you do this?”, “Where was I?” they asked.
“Yes, I told her that I loved her. She said she loved me as well. Last night and Thrain, you were skipping around the fire, drink and singing, horribly might I add” I answered them all.

They chuckled at the last bit, then Thror spoke; “But, was she not drunk last night?” he questioned and I nodded. “You fool, tell her you love her, when she has her wit about her. It was the lass’ first time drinking after all” Dain scolded him, chortling.  “I want to, but I fear that-” I began but was cut off by Thrain’s scoff; “Do not be foolish, tell her you love her and she will feel the same. Drunk word, sober thoughts, little brother” he stated and I nodded; “I will” I promised.

We rode on, and within the hour, we reached a large camp. We had reached the Grey Stone, I dismounted and the men all did the same; “Aden and Valin, stay close” I spoke, my voice automatically losing its fond tone and adopting one of a stern Jarl. They both moved to my sides and we walked to a very large tent, at the heart of the camp; this was where the Jarls will speak on the morrow.

I pushed back the flap and entered, Valin and Aden slipped in after me; followed by Bain, Dain and Fregya. There were seven other Jarls here, there were only nineteen in total; eighteen, after I killed Jarl Dustin and his heir. Their wives and sons were also with them; we all looked around the ‘room’ and my eyes landed on someone. She was on the arm of a Jarl; I froze as she turned and her eyes locked with mine and her lips curved upward into a smile. Mela was here.

....................................................................................................................................................................
SURPRISE!!
I know it's been forever since my last update and I'm sorry. My dad was in the hospital and it was serious. Thankfully, he's alright and back home now. So, that means you all get an update.
I hope you all liked this chapter, please don't forget to vote, comment and share. Thank you all for the support so far.

XxNikkyxX