Chapter Twenty Nine

When I pulled into Zeke's driveway, a shot of regret ran through me. What was I doing? He wasn't even my boyfriend. He would probably make me leave. God, not o mention his dad. All of these thoughts ran through my head as I made my way up to the door. I knocked on the door and watched as my breath came out all at once when Mr. Richards answered the door.
"Rachel. What are you doing here?" He asked me.
"I, uh, heh, is... is Zeke here?" I stammered. He opened the door wider and I slipped into the house. I walked to Zeke's room. His door was cracked open and light streamed through the ajar door. There was no sound coming from his room. I sighed quietly and looked down at my hands. Finally, I looked up and pushed the door open. He lay on his bed with a pair of ear buds in. He was looking up at the ceiling with an arm under his head. His other arm was thrown across his bare stomach. He was twisting something in his hand. I looked closer and realized it was the bracelet he had given me. He was wearing a pair of gray sweatpants and no shirt. His black hair was its usual wild style. I opened the door more and stepped in. He didn't notice me and kept messing with the bracelet, tracing the braid of it. I walked over and put a hand on his shoulder. He jumped up and ripped his ear buds out.
"Jesus, Ray! You scared me." He shrieked, holding his chest. I smiled and took a step back. He looked up at me.
"What... what're you doing here?" He asked. I looked around his room, drinking in the familiar details of his room. When my eyes to finally met his, I had to refrain from throwing my arms around him.
"I... I wanted to say sorry." I mumbled. He reached out and grabbed my wrist. He pulled me closer to him and clasped the bracelet around my wrist. My stomach flip flopped and my heart swelled. He stood up and put his hands on each side of my neck. His thumbs grazed my jaw and his fingers were splayed on the back of my neck. He was so close, it was intoxicating. His face was tilted down to face mine.
"Ray... don't be sorry. It's my fault. I should've... I shouldn't have gotten drunk. I'm so sorry." He whispered. I snapped, then. I wrapped my arms around his neck and brought my lips to his. A sound ripped from the back of his throat as he wrapped his arms around my waist.
"I love you." He whispered between kisses. When we finally pulled away, I was breathless and ashamed. We weren't dating. I stepped away from him and put my hands in my pockets.
"I shouldn't have done that." I said. His eyes were annoyed.
"What?" He asked, bewildered.
"I should not have done that. We aren't... we're not..." I trailed off, not knowing what to say.
"Dating? Yeah. I know. But... I want to, Ray. I want to be your boyfriend again. I want to hold you in my arms, and not be afraid of it. I want to feel your warmth. Please." He pleaded. I looked up at him. His eyes were pleading. I sighed.
"I don't know, Zeke. Just... let me think about it. Ok?" I asked. His face brightened.
"Ok." He nodded. I turned to leave when he grabbed me and kissed me briefly. My stomach was full of butterflies.
"Goodbye, Ray." He said against my lips.
"Bye, Zeke." I replied. He released me and gave me a smirk. I rolled my eyes and left his room. I closed his door and leaned against the wall beside it. I closed my eyes and felt the bracelet. A smile formed on my lips. And I went home with that same idiot smile on my face.

When I walked inside, mom was in the living room, reading a book and dad was sitting in a recliner, watching football. Why football players would want to play in the cold is beyond me. Sure, they get a lot of money. But, why risk their immune system for it? I will never know. Mom looked up at me.
"Oh, hi, sweetie!" She said. I waved at her and threw my coat over the back of the couch.
"Hey." I replied. She closed her book and looked at me.
"Want to have a girls' day on Saturday? Just you and I." She offered. It sounded nice. Away from everything. I nodded.
"That sounds great, Mom. Thanks." I smiled. She stood up and hugged me.
"You're welcome. Hey, have you been to the park lately?" She asked me. I shook my head.
"No. Why?" I asked. She shrugged.
"Well, I was at the park earlier. Just enjoying the winter, when Charlie flew over and landed beside me. He chirped at me. I pet him, but it wasn't you. He wants to see you." She explained.
"Charlie." I said. She nodded. I grinned and grabbed my coat.
"It's only 5:27. I have time to see him, right?" I asked. Mom nodded. I chuckled gleefully and kissed her cheek.
"Thanks, Mom." I thanked her... again. She smiled. I waved a goodbye toy dad and went to the park. When I got there, I went to my bench, where I first met Charlie... and I started falling for Zeke. I sat and waited. I didn't have to wait long when a red blob started screeching and flying at me. Charlie flew into my hair and chirped happily.
"Hi, pretty boy." I cooed. He sat on my shoulder and chirped. I smiled and rubbed his wings.
"I miss you, Charlie." I whispered to him. He chirped and leaned into my cheek.
"Are you happy?" I asked him. He flapped his wings once and flew off of my shoulder. He landed beside me on the bench and chirped. A brown, smaller bird flew over and landed beside him. My mouth dropped open.
"Charlie... is this your lady friend?" I squealed. He chirped and stepped back. The girl cardinal cocked her head to the side and stepped forward. I reached my hand out. She screeched and stepped back.
"No, no. It's ok." I soothed. She eyed me as she walked closer. I slid my finger against her smooth feathers.
"Lilly. That's your name." I whispered. She fluttered his wings, much like Charlie, and looked at me. Charlie walked over beside her. I smiled.
"I love you, pretty boy. You treat Lilly like a lady, you hear me?" I asked. He puffed his bird chest out and chirped boldly. I chuckled and tapped my cheek.
"Kisses?" I asked. He flew up and pressed his beak against my cold cheek.
"I broke up with Zeke. Rebecca did some bad things to him. But, I thought he just cheated. Well, he didn't and I... I still have feelings for him." I told my bird. He chirped slowly and scooted closer to Lilly. I nodded.
"Yeah... I miss him." I admitted. Charlie chirped. I nodded again.
"Well, I gotta go, pretty boy." I said sadly. He chirped and stepped towards me. I held my hand out and he flew onto it. I stroked his wings and feathers.
"I love you, Charlie." I whispered. He chirped and flew off of my finger. I stood up.
"Bye, Charlie. Bye, Lilly." I waved. They chirped and flew away to an oak tree.

*sigh* I'm really bored. xD xD xD Sooo... are you liking the story? Random question of the day: What is your favorite color? P.S. I will put another Author's Note in this book. It will probably be the last one. And... *dramatic pause* I don't know when I will make it. But, I will give a heads up in the chapter before it. Love you, guys!!