Chapter Eighteen

Rebecca put a hand on her hip and cocked her head.
"What do you mean, Rachel?" She asked me. I tensed and felt Zeke. He put a hand on my thigh and shook his head. I eased up.
"Nothing." I said.
"Well. This is... news. Why didn't you tell us, David?" Danny asked.
"Yeah, man. For real? We are your bros. You are supposed to tell us shit like this, man." Tyler said. Scott snorted.
"Right. Like he was gonna tell us, and embarrass himself. I mean, who would want to be caught dead with her?" He asked. Though it was a very mean thing to say, I laughed. Rebecca shot me a look. I tried my best to cover it up with a cough. Zeke looked down at his phone. He shook his head and stood up.
"I'll see you later, Ray." He said. I looked up at him.
"Ok." I said. He leaned down and kissed me. I kissed him back and pulled away. He looked like he was in pain.
"Bye, guys." He said. There was a chorus of 'byes'. He walked off and disappeared around a corner. I turned back to the table. Ted was looking at me.
"Any particular reason you're staring at me?" I asked. Scott chuckled.
"Yeah. Why didn't Zeke tell us about you?" He asked. I shrugged.
"Why didn't he tell me about you?" I asked. I put my elbows on the table. Scott raised an eyebrow. Rebecca was trailing a fingernail across David's chest when Jenni hustled over.
"Ohmigod! Rebecca, did you hear? Katie and Dylan broke up!" She exclaimed. David looked at Jenni. Rebecca stood up and looked at David.
"Sorry, honey. We're over. I've been keeping an eye on Dylan for a while." She said, leaving with Jenni. Danny and Tyler were laughing hysterically. I chuckled and looked at David.
"Number one rule about Rebecca: don't get attached. Number two: don't screw her. And last but not least: do not date her." I said. Ted and Scott cracked up laughing. David had a sad look on his face.
"Aw, come on, man. Don't be upset. You'll find the right girl." I said, throwing a French fry at him. He dodged it and chuckled.
"Thank you, Rachel." He said. I smiled at him.
"So, tell me. How do a bunch of hot, popular guys end up friends with the not as hot rebel guy?" I asked. Scott smiled. Ted chuckled. David grinned. Danny and Teddy went beet red.
"Well... Ted and Scott are cousins." Danny said.
"Doesn't mean they don't fight like an old married couple, though." David said. I chuckled.
"Yeah. I only hung out with Teddy for a while. Then, I met these guys. See, I always hated guys like them. Cocky, popular, girls all over them. Then, I met them. And now, we're like peas in a pod. Ain't that right, Danny?" He asked, throwing a grape at him. Danny nodded.
"You got that right, baby boy. Come here, give me some suga!" Danny said, puckering his lips.
"Fuck off." Scott said, flipping him off. I laughed. David laughed. Tyler spoke up.
"I have an announcement." He said. We all shut up and paid attention.
"With many minutes of debating, I hereby include Rachel into our friendship. You are honored with this French fry. It is sacred." He said, handing a soggy French fry to me.
"Oh, thank you. Thank you so much!" I dramatically exclaimed. Ted chuckled.
"You are welcome. Do not lose that French fry." He said. I smiled and tossed it in a nearby trashcan.
"I don't want soggy French fries." I said. They all chuckled.
"You know Rachel? For a girl, you're pretty chill." Scott said. I flipped my hair over my shoulder, impersonating Rebecca.
"I try my best." I said. He smiled and I stood up.
"Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to go find my boyfriend." I said. They all nodded. I put my tray up and went to where I last saw Zeke. I turned the corner and no one was there. Of course not. I went outside to the parking lot and saw Zeke standing at his car. I walked over to him with my hands in my pockets.
"Zeke?" I asked. He looked at me. His eyes were red. His cheeks were stained with tears.
"Oh, good lord. What happened?" I asked. He shook his head.
"Nothing." He said. His voice was gravelly. I walked over and sat on the hood of his car.
"No. Not nothing." I said. He looked at me. His gold eyes were like a yellow. I put a hand on his cheek. He closed his eyes and leaned into my hand.
"Zeke. What's wrong?" I asked. He took in a deep breath.
"My dad... he's threatening." He said.
"So? Threaten back!" I exclaimed. He shook his head and laughed humorlessly.
"No, Ray. You don't understand. He's not threatening me. He's threatening you." He said. I flinched.
"What?" I asked. He nodded and pulled out his phone. He pulled up a conversation and let me read it.