Chapter Seventeen

I woke up to Charlie on my shoulder and Ash staring at me intently.
"I have to go home today." She said. My heart dropped. I hadn't got to see her much. Close to not at all.
"Ok." I said. My voice was scraggly, sleepy. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. She was dressed. Her hair was up in a ponytail. She was wearing jeans and a pink long sleeve shirt. Her brown eyes were sad. I stood up and hugged her.
"I'm so sorry, Ash. I'm sorry I didn't hang out with you much. I'm gonna miss you." I told her. She nodded.
"I'm gonna miss you, too Rake." She told me. I pulled away and looked at her. My best friend.
"You know what Cody would say right now?" She asked.
"'You two, like hens in a coop!'" I chuckled. She laughed and nodded. Then, Mr. Paul walked in. I smiled. He held his arms out. I walked onto them.
"Hi, Rachel." He said.
"Hi, Mr. Paul. It's good to see you." I told him. He chuckled.
"You too." He said. I pulled away. Charlie flew over and landed on Ashley's shoulder. He chirped sadly. She shook her head.
"No, Charlie." She said, handing Charlie back to me. He settled on my shoulder and rest his head on my cheek. Ash picked up her backpack. I sat on my bed and put my hands on my knees. Charlie sat beside me. Mom walked in with a sad look on her face. Ash hugged her. Mom wrapped her arms around Ashley's shoulders. Mr. Paul was standing awkwardly when Charlie flew over and landed on his shoulder. He chuckled and scratched his head.
"Hi, there." He said. Charlie chirped and flew around his head. Mr. Paul smiled.
"Uh, Rachel? Mind getting your bird?" He asked me. I smiled.
"Charlie." I said. He chirped and flew over, sitting in his spot. Mom and Ash pulled away from each other. Ash looked at me.
"Well. You better come visit me. Often." I demanded. She smiled.
"I'll try." She said. I nodded and stood up. Charlie flew to his cage and stood on the top peg. He started chirping. Like a song. I threw my arms around Ashley.
"It's ok, Rake. I'll call you. You'll call me. It's like I never have to leave." She said, in the Barney theme song. I cringed. She pulled away.
"I love you Ash, but that was horrible." I grimaced. She laughed and nodded. Mr. Paul stepped forward.
"Time to go. You still have to see your mom." He told her. Ash nodded. I gave her one last hug.
"Bye." I said. She replied by pulling away, kissing her fist and holding her palm out. I did the same. She nodded and turned. Once she left, I flopped down on my bed.
"Ugh." I groaned. Mom smiled, despite the situation.
"You still have school. Oh, and the power is back on." She said. I nodded and continued to lay on my bed. My arms were stretched out beside me and my legs were hanging off the side. Charlie settled in his bed. I looked up at the ceiling. The ceiling fan spun around and around. Charlie started chirping happily. I turned my head and looked at him. He was flapping his wings around. Then, Zeke appeared into my vision. He sat beside me. I looked at him. He was still in his old clothes. His hair was still a mess. His eyes were still the beautiful gold color. He reached out a hand and grazed my cheek.
"She just told me bye." He said. I nodded.
"Me too." I said. He leaned down and kissed my head.
"I'm sorry. But, you have to get dressed." He said. I rolled my eyes and shoved his chest. He clutched his heart.
"You've wounded me." He said dramatically. I smiled.
"You think it's funny?" He said. I nodded, cracking up. He grabbed my wrists in one hand and commenced to mercilessly tickle me with the other. I squealed and tried to shove him off. I failed. He chuckled and let me go. I huffed. He looked at me with the little boy smile he has. I smiled back and hugged him. I wrapped my arms around his neck and put my face into his neck. He sighed and wrapped his arms around my waist. I smiled and pulled away. He looked at me. I was baffled. Since when did the all star quarterback of my school become interested in me. I used to be a lowlife. An outcast. Now... I'm not. I grabbed his shoulders and kissed him. He kissed me back and wound his hands in my hair. I put my hands on his chest and shoved gently. He pulled away and looked at me with a question mark face.
"I have to get dressed. Remember?" I asked. He chuckled and nodded.
"Yeah. All right. Hurry." He said, standing up. I nodded and stood up after him. He put his hands on my cheeks and kissed my forehead again. I felt mushy inside. Technically, I was. But that was beside the point. He walked out and I sat at my desk. I put a hand to my chest and looked at Charlie.
"What is he doing to me?" I asked no one in particular.