Stupid Me.

Melanie

Mr. Agganis our principal, better known as "Mr. Aggy" was hurding everybody inside the auditorium like sheep. There were too many people trying to get in at once, so I decided to just wait. I pulled out my money and counted it just to make sure I wasn't missing any. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't need this much just to be bidding on some stupid boy that I don't even like but it's worth the shot. I stared at the money in my hand. Do I really wanna do this?

I looked to my left and Ray was standing there with his hands in his pockets staring at me. A wave of heat flashed over me. I suddenly became angry all over again. I folded the cash in my hand and put it into my back pocket. 

"Melanie, can I talk to you for a second?" 

My heart began to beat really fast like it was about to break all my ribs and jump out. I held my chest just in case as I turned around.

Mr. Agganis.

Phew. I sigh of relief escaped my mouth. 

"Melanie, I'm starting to become really scared for you. You aren't yourself lately. What's been going on?" He asked, putting his hands on his hips.

"I don't know Mr. Agganis. I don't know."

"Well young lady if you don't figure it out-"

"Mr. Agganis! If you're going to scream at me I don't wanna hear it. I really don't! I'm sorry but I'm not in the mood as you can see. People change. LIFE happens. I-I I just don't feel like explaining myself. And I shouldn't have to. So if you would excuse me. I have bidding to do."

I bumped his shoulder as I walked past him, and into the auditorium. 

--------------------------------------------

Ray

I adjusted the extra fancy and expensive Gucci v-neck that I borrowed from Jacob. I lied to my mom and told her that I had bought it with my own money just to make her proud. She's so gullible. I had borrowed it because all my good clothes were at the tailors and in the cleaners. But it seems like everybody else had the same issue cause nobody else was wearing anything too over the top except for this nerdy kid named Matthew. Idiot. But, I need my clothes cleaned. Spring Fling was in May. And that's a month away. I have to look good. Cause I'm Ray. All conceited thoughts aside, I'm very nervous about this bidding shit. My emotions have been so mixed lately. Part of me is normal and fine and then the other part has this awkwardly strange attraction to Melanie all of the sudden now that she doesn't talk to me. 

My thoughts were interupted by claps as the principal came to the stage. The lights dimmed and the bright spotlight spotted out Mr. Agganis. He grabbed the mic from the stand and started talking.

"Welcome to the first annual auction! In a minute or so I will explain the rules of the auction and the prizes the winners will receive." Mr. Agganis cleared his throat.

"Okay, I will call up one of these handsome gentlemen to the front of the stage. I will set a starting price on him. The starting price will be three dollars. It's your job as the bidders to set a higher price. If someone bids more money than you, it's your job to bid more. The bidder with the highest bid price is the winner. The prize that you will receive is up to the boy you bidded on. Each boy has something we call a "basket" and in that basket holds a mystery date that he has set up for the both of you that will take place right after the auction. If the boy has nothing in his basket, well.. you get nothing. It's simple. If you have any questions feel free to ask now."