-1-

The gravel beneath my boots crunch, echoing for miles throughout the empty forest only being accompanied by the soft hum of the wind and the chirp of the morning boots. I sling my bag further over my shoulder, walking faster as I hurry off to work. There was no way I could be late again—curse my damn alarm clock for never going off!

A sudden gust of the cool autumn breeze rustles the trees, as I feel every single hair on my arm stand up in attention while goosebumps arise on my skin. Even with my thick, maroon sweater on, and the coffee I was nursing in my hands, the weather still chills me to the core.

As I continue to walk, I suddenly hear someone ahead of me. My head snaps up, and when I realize who it is I begin to smile.

"Good Morning Miss. Green!" I call out, waving, as a small smile greets her timeworn face. With her cane in hand and a leash in the other, she totters towards me.

"Well hello dear!" Her small voice coos and it was so quiet as if she wasn't as close as she was I wouldn't be able to hear her over the wind, "How are you, Rose? It's been a while hasn't it?"

"Oh, I've been doing just peachy!" I give her a small hug. All of a sudden, I feel something wet on my hand. Glancing down, I notice her Bernese Mountain dog sitting beside her, head cocked to the side. I smile. When I pet him, he rubs up against the side of my leg showing affection. "I can see Pumpkin is doing just fine. He seems much better since his last visit to the vet. I'm glad his prescription is working."

When I was treating Pumpkin, I made sure to reassure Miss. Greene that he'd be alright. Like me, animals were her favorite companions, and I knew she'd be upset if anything were to happen to Pumpkin, so I made sure that she wouldn't worry too much about him, and I assured her that we would treat him well.

"He's doing so much better since her visit! I owe you and Lizette so much for helping him, I don't know what I could do without him by my side." Her smile brightens, and her eyes crinkle at the side. Giving her one more hug, we say our goodbyes and she pulls Pumpkin along with her to where I presume back home.

-

A few minutes later, after walking at a very fast pace to the point where I was out of breath, I found myself in front of the familiar building - the Crownsville Animal Clinic. Pushing open the glass door, the small bell rings throughout the quiet building, and a rush of warm air greets my skin. I flip the sign from 'Closed' to 'Open', before walking towards the front desk. I clock in before placing my bag down glancing around. This place sure was empty this morning. I walk towards Liz's office, knocking softly.

"Liz?" I call out, and when there is no answer, my eyebrows furrow.

Where could she be?

"Hey Liz!" I call out again, walking towards the kennels where I hear some shuffling.

Opening the door, I peek in to see ahead of blonde hair leaning over a few of the feeding bowls, pouring in some food. Walking towards her, I grab one of the jugs of water and kneel beside her beginning to fill some water bowls. Her head suddenly snaps up, and when she sees me she yelps in surprise spilling some of the food everywhere.

"Ah! Rose, you jerk. Maybe a warning next time, jeez." She huffs out, as I burst out laughing. She rolls her eyes, before playfully punching my arm, and starts laughing along with me. "I was just getting their food ready for when they all wake up." She motions towards the kennels, where all the dogs lay, either sleeping or looking towards us eyes wide and tails wagging.

"I thought you weren't even going to show up this morning, to be honest." Liz grabs some of the bowls, before placing them in the kennel, and I follow in suit, assisting her.