10 ‖ Heartbreak

Start from the beginning

"I needed to know if she was okay, alright? It's not that big of a deal." He brushes it off indifferently or at least he was trying to seem nonchalant about it.

Clearly, he is far from moving on.

"Relax, I didn't say it was a big deal," I retort.

Casimir averts his gaze and he starts to rub the back of his neck nervously with his left hand. He then lets out an abrupt sigh before trudging towards his bed where he starts to pack his belongings into a small backpack.

"You should start packing too. We're leaving soon. We'll be stopping by villages so you don't have to overpack." Casimir advises quietly and I decide to follow suit and head back to my room.

I suppose tension is inevitable between us.

♚♚♚

"This is the only way out," Casimir insists.

"You're absolutely out of your mind!" I yell in a whisper.

He lets out a sigh of annoyance and proceeds to toss his bag out of the window. After which, he does the unimaginable.

He jumps out.

Definitely like father like son. They are both secretly suicidal.

My eyes widen in disbelief and my jaw drops. I freeze and it is as if my feet are glued to the ground. Once I finally process what I had just witnessed, I dart towards the window frantically.

To my relief, I spot Casimir in one piece on the ground floor, dusting off leaves that got stuck on him.

"Look, it's not that high." Casimir assures softly.

Normally, if anyone asks, I would say that I am pretty intelligent and logical. Simply stated, I am definitely not dumb. However, perhaps my brain cells decided to take a vacation today.

Stupidly, I decide to take a leap of faith and I fling my bag out of the window.

With that, I jumped too.

"Ouch"

I gradually open my eyes, slightly fearful of what had just happened.

Oh...

I suppose if anyone ever decides to jump out of a window, I would say that it is wiser to have your eyes opened.

"Goodness gracious, you should have hung onto the branch or something. You could have broken a bone or two by falling like that." Casimir points out as he winces in pain.

He had braced my fall and I am practically laying on top of him.

Mortified, I stand up instantly, only to lose my balance and fall back on him.

"Double ouch," Casimir hisses through his gritted teeth.

"I-I'm sorry," I apologise uneasily and this time I simply get off him and sit by the side.

To my surprise, he lets out a soft chuckle and sits up. He then extends his arm towards me and I pull back instinctively.

"Relax, I don't bite." Casimir jokes and proceeds to pick up a leaf that probably got tangled between the strands of my hair. "If only I had known that you were terrified of heights, I'd have just scared you away by dragging you to an amusement park to ride a roller coaster or something. It would've been a lot more fun than burning down someone's apartment."

He then gets up from the ground and offers me a hand which I gladly accept.

"Well, at least you got a blonde chick to stay over at the palace." I tease and nudge his arm with my elbow.