Nothing Into something

After running around a few days we found no evidence that linked the phony professor to our latest victim. a few days on top of that we found no evidence linking him to the case at all. Only just one video tape which suggested a short meeting between Carl and the professor. That would not be enough to prosecute a man for five murders. 

The mystical white powder proved to be cocaine, over three kilograms of it. The professor had every right to run knowing that the narcs could be on his tail, but pulling a grenade out of your coat pocket? That's something you certainly don't see everyday. When we checked the professor's bank account, it was loaded. I had a team sweep Carl's apartment which proved futile. No trace of the substance was found and a check of his bank account proved nothing of any illegal business. 

So with just a day or two to spare til another murder, I had nothing to go off on. No leads, no time and no patience. The chief was discharged from the hospital and decided he needed a month's break. Lieutenant Dante Peterson offered no help, while Patrick and I haven't spoken since the incident. The media figured out where I lived and most times I am attacked by a news reporter or two whenever I try to leave or enter my house. The nights have been restless until I decided that the only way for me to go forward was for me to go back. 

I went to the clinic where Carl got his surgery done, and although the master surgeon in charge of that operation died, his assistant Mrs Mitchum was still alive and working at the nearby hospital. I paid her a visit without anyone accompanying me.

She was not like what I expected, Mrs Mitchum was young, around 30 and strikingly beautiful as well. I had a quick chat with her. Apparently she knew Carl before the surgery was done and  couldn't understood why persons often change their bodies. That's why she came out of that field and landed a job as a doctor's assistant here, where medicine according to her was being put to good use. 

 I thanked her for her time, spoke to a nurse about babies and just as I was about to step in the elevator, I heard a loud scream. 

*******************************************

He watched her for quite some time now, at work, at home, on the road. It consumed him; every waking moment, she was alive and not being punished for what she did to him. She got married the other day to a doctor in the same hospital. Never have relations with someone you work with. You'll get tired of seeing that person every where you look.  

He had to be creative in his approach towards her, the others were easy, almost too easy.  The harder the challenge, the more satisfaction he gets. It was all just a game to him, every single one of them, just preys waiting to be devoured by a hungry eagle. He was walking down the corridor in his aquamarine scrubs, holding the clipboard with a schedule predetermined by him. His victim was talking to that nosy Detective, the same nosy Detective who had been closing down on him two months back. Luckily, another foolish person intervened and had the Detective on a wild goose chase. The man handed the clipboard to his victim and smiled, careful to not let the Detective see his face.  

Five minutes later the plan was fully operational. The lady came inside the room to fetch sanitary supplies when she saw the figure looming in the shadows. 

Ripping off his surgical mask, he revealed his full face. The lady's face registered shock and he took that to his advantage. Moving swiftly he yanked at the hose in his hand which was connected to a tank full of anesthetic gas. wrapping the hose around her neck, he forced the plastic mask leaking gas over her nose. His grip on the hose tighten which closed off the available oxygen. The gases were doing their work as the lady's eyes were closed and he body went limp. 

Unfortunately for the killer, someone barged in the room, making him not able to finish his job. A middle age woman screamed on the top of her lungs. Dropping his victim and everything else, the man sprinted out of the room. He saw the Detective running to where the killer moment before occupied. Luck was on his side as an elevator was empty and open. Dashing inside, he pressed ground floor and was gone.