What Comes After Rain?

Her smile was probably the most beautiful thing in the room right now. I caught myself staring at her, the beauty stricken face of my wife.

I pulled out all the stops tonight and created a romantic and relaxed atmosphere in our flat. We weren't celebrating anything, I just wanted to treat her special; treat them special.

She was two months pregnant.

A sweet aroma developed in the room from the scented candles.

Ashley leaned towards me and asked, "You know what would make this night even more special?"
No sooner had she finished when I heard my cell ringing from the bedroom.

No dear, but I know what could ruin it.

My wife smile did not falter, she simply nodded her head.

I rushed to get my phone, it was the Chief. No doubt someone was murdered.

Why else would he call me at 10:39 pm?
To tell me goodnight? I don't think so.

"Anderson here," I answered.

"There is a situation at the Castleton district. I'd like to go take a look at it. Follow the blue and red lights."
With that the line went dead.

I headed back to the living room only to see my wife laying out my station weapon and my badge on the table.
No words were needed.
Grabbing everything, I gave her a peck on the cheek and disappeared out the door.

The night was cool and wet. I enjoyed the wind blowing through my hair. The car was doing a steady 80 mph as it zipped along the deserted highway.

I had called my new partner, Patrick Sutherland, the moment I left the house.
He was already on his way to the scene of the crime.

The Castleton district was a gated community, owning a house here must be expensive but worth it.

The blue and red lights could have been seen flashing from the moment one entered the complex.
Follow the lights.

I parked my car a distance off and took the rest of the journey on foot. I flashed my badge several different times to get into the house.

When I finally reached inside Chief Darwin greeted and led me to through the apartment.
It was cramped and I felt my fear of castrophopic creeping up on me.

A ghastly scene waited for me in the bathroom.
The victim was a pretty brunette, and I was not saying that because she was nude. Her facial features were immaculate.
The bath was full and she just laid there peacefully, a hairdryer floating at the other end.

A very dumb and careless way to go.

"Who found her?" I directed the question at no one in particular.

Patrick who materialized out of nowhere answered, "Elizabeth Whyte, her mother, sir. The victim is Rachel Hendricks, an only sibling. Her father passed away a few years back, she lived alone with no known spouse."

Good work partner.

My eyes narrowed and I stood and surveyed the scene properly.

Something doesn't seem right.

"Everybody get out, now!" I ordered a bit too loud. I placed pair of latex gloves on my hands and walked out and then back in the room.

Something caught my eye.

Barely sticking out from under one of the mats was a small piece of paper.
What made it so interesting was the color.

A bright red jumped out at me.

The bathroom was decorated with green and yellow floral designs. I knelt and picked up the paper, nothing was written on it but none the less, I kept it.

"Sutherland," I called.

"Yes sir?"

"Bag this, get it down to the lab and let them run some tests on it. I want a statement from every single resident in this community, tonight."

"What exactly are we looking for Sir?" The fresh cop asked.

"I don't know yet but I am positive that she was not alone tonight."

"Ok Sir!" Sutherland turned to walk away but stopped when I started talking.

"And one more thing Detective, don't call me Sir."