To Be Or Not To Be

"I felt I was faced with a questionable choice which only had one solution. Killing the professor was unplanned for. But with a gun aimed at me, I had no choice."

The tape recorded clicked.
"That's what you want on record?" Our now acting chief Dante asked me.

"For now, yes." Since I killed a man with no probable cause, an investigation was launched to see what will become of me. The city couldn't have a loose cannon running around the city.

Chief Darwin was shot in the abdomen, no major damage. The doctors said he should be back on his feet in two weeks. For now Lieutenant Dante Peterson was acting chief. I stood by him in the meeting with the mayor and through the press conference.

After I was through it was after 7, I was yet to change out of the smoke infested clothes. Before I made my way home I stopped at the autopsy lab. Dr Sharp was busy at work.

"Two gunshot wounds to the chest, one puncturing the left lung." When she saw me she became silent.

"You can't be in here Detective."

"I know," I said. "Just want to see how everything was going."

She sighed and turned off the microphone she was speaking into. "Look I don't wanna know what happened as that will cloud my judgement when I'm presenting my report to the higher ups but there is something I want you to know."

"Oh yea? What's that?" I was certainly antsy.

"Look here," she pointed to the professor's bare face. "See anything?"

"No." I didn't know what I was supposed to be looking for.

"Exactly. He had very abnormal facial hair. After I received the body I noticed how they stuff off his face." She held up a clear bag with the hair. "They were fake. Like weave except he glued them onto a special wax which just stuck to his face. Beard, moustache, sideburns all fake. I don't know who he really is but he was certainly hiding something."

*****************************

Turns out the explosion at the university was a grenade. That's what I found out the next day. Explosions, guns? The guy must be hiding something to carry such firepower.

Patrick and I went with a small team to the professor's house. A key borrowed off the corpse gave us access to inside. The room that greeted us was large and reminded me of pirate ships. Paintings hanged off the wall and the room carried a musty odor.
We didn't have to look very far to find something conspicuous. The fireplace was modern, just a plastic representation of real wood. But an iron poking rod laid above it.

If I was a cat I'd be dead. I grabbed the rod and lifted the base of the plastic. Apparently our professor was a magician as underneath lay a mystical white powder.