Charlie Charles Charles

It took us some time the next day but we finally found where this Charles Baker resided. He lived in an apartment complex just a few blocks away from the precinct.
We decided to walk, just for the heck of it.

It was around six in the evening, the sun was just getting ready to see the other half of the earth and left orange streaks throughout the clouds.
The complex was at least 10 stories tall. The landlord must be milking the paycheck out o the residents.
The elevator was either broken or it took more than five minutes to reach the ground floor. Whatever the case was we ended up taking the stairs all the way up to the sixth floor.
I was out of breath by the time I reached while Patrick looked like he did this for a living.

He should probably enter a stair climbing contest.

Room 62. We knocked on the door.

And Waited
Another knock.
Five minute interval.

After a few more unsuccessful attempts I made up my mind to just go in. Fortunately Patrick knew how to pick locks so instead of going back downstairs to get a key, we broke in. The room was tidy, not what you expect from a guy.
There were no pictures hanging from the wall, no framed diplomas, heck not even a small painting.
The tables were clean, not a speck of dust to be found and all chairs were organized. The kitchen was very tidy especially the pantry which had all the food organized.
This guy must have OCD.

We checked under the bed, searched his draws, and even moved away the heavy furniture.

Nothing.

We spent the next two hours idly waiting for Charlie's arrival. Patrick had suggested we moved everything back and that we did.
After a while the man of the hour came home. We were all standing outside at that point in time.

"Charles Baker?"

"Yes that's me." The man raised his eyebrows when we made our presence felt.

"Police. We need to ask you a few questions." I flashed my badge while Patrick slowly displayed his.

"What is this about officers?" The man had his hand on the door knob and he looked pretty calm. That irked me.

"First up it's detectives." You little piece of shit. "Secondly it's about the most recent murders."

"You mind if we come in?" Patrick asked.

"I'd rather stay out here." Charles Baker smelled of fresh dirt and rain. Like a garden. He had a briefcase in one hand and his suit was crumpled.

"What do you know a young lady by the name of Rachel?"

"She's dead that much I can tell you. So is Jessica, Patrice and Janet."

"We didn't ask about those persons." I said, surveying the man.

"I know Detective, but its all over the news. So was your face." Charles literally spat the last words.

"What happened with your relationship with the two friends? Jessica and Janet ?"

"Nothing happened. I was merely friends with both of them and each was jealous of the other. Neither was worth my time." Charlie said shifting from foot to foot.

My eyebrows raised in amazement. "I have a witness who says otherwise. The person said you dated both girls simultaneously."

"Was that person Marsha Stephenson?" The man had us figured out. "She's a pretty good liar. Don't believe a word she says."

"And why should we believe you?" I didn't know what Ashley had seen in this petty excuse for a man.

"Why shouldn't you Detective?"

Because I don't like you.

I shouldn't let emotions cloud my judgment but it was.

After a few more questions Detective Sutherland and I were getting ready to leave when Charles Baker said, "tell Ashley I said Hi."

It took all my willpower and more not to turn around and shovel my fist down his throat. I didn't want any of my work crossing over with my personal life.
*****************************
"So what do you think?" Patrick asked me when we were back at the precinct.

"I don't trust him. He's knows too much."

I thought back to where Charlie had slipped up. He mentioned a name, a name that wasn't publicly linked to the cases. The name of the dead scientist; Patrice.