chapter thirty two

**dan**

Dan walked towards the bus stop. It was later in the day, school had finished a while ago and dusk was just around the corner. There was a slight chill in the air and Dan could see his breath floating into the atmosphere every time he breathed out. 

Dan lent up against the lamp post, and rubbed his hands together, exhaling his hot breath onto his numb fingers to try and warm them up. Dan lit his fifth cigarette of the day and puffed. 

I am not addicted. This is normal. 

Suddenly, Dan heard a rustle behind him and the sound of voices. Dan shut his eyes for he knew exactly what it was. 

'Hey!' the sound of Jacks voice rang through Dan's ears. Dan turned around to see Jack and Connor. He sighed, the two brothers he hated with a passion.

'I was talking to you, are you deaf?' Jack said. 

'I know, I chose to ignore you, are you stupid?' Dan asked, sarcasm dripping from his articulate voice. 

'Don't get cocky' Connor said. 

'Stop smoking' Jack said. 

'Fuck off' Dan said. 

'No, stop smoking' Jack repeated himself. Dan stepped towards them, took one long drag and blew out the smoke right in front of their faces. He raised an eyebrow. 

'Sorry. What was that?' 

'You're on my last fucking nerve Howell' Jack shouted. 

'Oh really?' 

'Jack, just beat him one' Connor said, gesturing to his brother. 

'Go on Jack, do as the man asks' Dan said. 

'I fucking will' Jack said, clenching his fists. 

'Oh, really, or do you not have the balls because the last time I looked the Maynard's couldn't do things like that I mea-' Dan stopped talking as Jack threw him to the ground. 

'Shut up. Just shut the fuck up' Connor snarled. 

'Or what?' Dan looked up. Jack kicked him in the stomach, making Dan choke. He kicked him again and again. Punching Dan in the chest, slapping him. Dan coughed, desperately trying to save his lungs. Connor snatched the cigarette out of Dan's grasp. 

'Give it back' Dan spluttered. 

'Shut up' Jack shouted, kicking him. 'Now, eat it' 

'What?' 

'I said eat it. If you love cigarettes so much, then eat it' he said, holding it up to Dan's mouth.

'Oh, fuck off'

'Who said you could talk?' Connor asked. Dan rolled his eyes. Jack punched him and pulled him closer to his chest. 'Eat it' 

Dan shook his head.

 'Fine then' Jack said, taking the cigarette and shoving it into the side of Dan's face, burning him. 

Dan held his breath, the pain was unbearable. Jack continued to hold the glowing stub there. Dan continued to hold his breath. 

Jack let go, dropping Dan back onto the floor. Dan caught a huge breath. 

'You're a fucking good for nothing, posh emo twat. You hear that, you twat, emo and posh shouldn't even go in the same sentence for fucks sake' Jack laughed. 

'You know you are so right' Dan said. 'Hows about I go slit my wrists now? You know after your little speech thing, would that make you happy?' 

Jack gritted his teeth. 'I have a good mind to wack you one again'

Dan raised his eyebrows.

'He's so fucking annoying Con' 

'Carry on Jack' Connor whispered.

'Ugh for fucks sake!! No one cares about you. You think you're so clever and such a bad ass but Dan, you really aren't. You're such a loser' 

'Thank you, for that, that truly fascinating piece of information that I already knew' Dan smiled sarcastically. 

'We're trying to help you, you ungrateful piece of shit. The sooner you realise all the bollocks, the better' Jack shouted, giving Dan one last kick to the stomach. Dan coughed and then looked up to see the two boys walking away. 

Dan let out a sigh of relief as he saw his bus motoring towards him. It ground to a halt and Dan sat down at the back. The orange numbers disappeared away from the bus stop and Dan closed his eyes.