chapter eleven

**phil**

Phil looked out of the car window and up at the bleak, murky sky. He sighed as rain fell onto the glass. Phil noticed a passing sign. 'Wolverhampton- 3 miles'. 

'Manchester is a long way away from Wolverhampton. What brings you this way?' the taxi driver asked, butting in on Phil's daydreaming. 

'I'm going to the hospital' Phil said. 

'Who are you visiting?' he asked. 

'I don't know if they are going to be there..' Phil sighed again.

 'Well, who are you expecting to be seeing?' 

'My, um, boyfr-, my friend' Phil stuttered. 

'Didn't quite catch that, you're visiting your boyfriend right?' he asked. 

'Well, um, my, um, friend?' 

'Oh, I see son, undecided huh?'. Phil nodded. 

'Well, I love him, I think I do. But, I don't know if he feels the same way. He left me last night, I never got a chance to tell him. He got on a train, he didn't even know where it was terminating. Then I got news that a train leaving Manchester crashed here, it left Manchester around the time he said he had boarded the train. I need to know if he's okay' Phil was close to tears. 

'It's okay son, I hope he's okay. What's his name?' the cab driver asked. 

'Dan. Dan Howell. He's beautiful' Phil said. 

'I'm sure he is. I will pray for you two' he said. 

'Thank you sir' 

'S'alright my son' he smiled. 'We're here'. The taxi came to a halt and Phil picked up his bag. 

'How much?' Phil asked, looking into the front view mirror. 

'You're a nice lad, and I can see there's trauma going on in your life right now. I can't charge you' 

'But I've been in this taxi for 2 hours, at least let me give you a tip' Phil said.

'No, I don't want it'. Phil shoved a ten pound note into the man's hand. 

'Keep it' 

'You're a good man. I hope Dan get's better' he said. 

'Me too'

'Now, get into that hospital, find this Dan, and tell him how much you really love him' 

'I shall try' Phil said. 

'You do that' 

'Have a good day' 

'And you, now off you go, go tell that boy what you think of him' he smiled. Phil smiled back. He got out of the taxi and closed the door behind him. The taxi pulled out of the lay-by and Phil waved it away.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The hospital doors snapped open and Phil was greeted with smells of sterilisation and sadness. Phil walked up to the reception's desk and said,