Part 25

Sam slept through until early the next morning. Dean was holding him tight and it broke his heart to extract himself from his partner's grasp especially when that was exactly what he'd been missing over the last few months. He left a kiss on Dean's forehead.

He pulled on his usual clothes before deciding to head downstairs and look around a little more. He'd not managed to have a real look around yesterday so he was determined to actually use his time to discover more about this new time... Old time.

The stairs squeaked as he put weight on them but he'd already started to adjust to that strange feature of the house. Without his microchip constantly reeling noise into his head, Sam could actually hear everything around him and could focus more easily.

He immediately walked to the window but the early morning dew made it look too chilly out there so he resigned and decided to explore some more there later. Instead, he peered around until he found the kitchen.

He couldn't tell whether this kitchen was modern for the time or worn and old. From all the pictures he'd ever seen, old kitchens all seemed too similar for him to differentiate. The work surface was littered with little objects, bottles and devices, each Sam was too scared to touch. He didn't want to mess with anything.

He found an object he recognized, it had made an appearance in one of the older movies he liked to watch. It was a Toaster. Spotting the bread, that Dean used yesterday, Sam pulled out a slice and held it above the machine. He dropped the bread on top of the metal and peered at it for a moment.

"Activate." He commanded when nothing worked. A frown pulled at his brow. He held his bracelet to the machine but it was dead. He sighed. He hit his palm against the side of the machine, "Activate. Form, Cooked bread?"

"Hey! Ya gunna break my toaster." Bobby grumbled from the doorway.

Sam leapt back guiltily and peered down towards his feet, "I'm sorry... I think I broke it."

Bobby cast a critical eye over the device before bursting out into laughter. Sam had lain the bread flat over the top of the toaster. It was bizarre to think that this grown man knew less about toasting bread than a toddler.

"Nah, I don't think so." He chuckled while lifting the bread and placing it into one of the slots. He then pressed down the lever, taking the bread into the machine to be toasted. "It's just all manual here. Nothing much is voice activated, unfortunately."

Sam nodded, already having learnt so much, "Thank you so much for helping me." He beamed.

"Thank you so much for looking after Dean." He stated easily while making together a strong cup of coffee. He needed it if he had to converse with someone at this time in the morning. Usually, he was lucky as Dean didn't normally pull himself out of bed until about 9-10 so Bobby had time to wake up first. "Do you want coffee?"

Sam was hesitant, "Yes, please."

Bobby handed him a cup and Sam took a careful sip, "This is good! Way better than the health stuff we had."

Bobby grinned, glad to see Sam had found something he liked since he'd been told about how the sandwich didn't go down very well.

He peered at the man sipping at the brown liquid as though it held the secret to eternal life. His hazel eyes were turning cross-eyed as he tried to watch the coffee as he drunk.

"Careful, son." He warned. Sam peered up at him with a painfully genuine expression on his face but it was gone too soon, "Don't go burning yourself!"

There was a few beats of silence as Sam seemed to be enthralled by his surroundings and Bobby studied the stranger at his kitchen table. This was bizarre for him, he rarely let unknown faces inside his home but he trusted Dean so he trusted Sam.