Who knew someone could be so enthusiastic about a shopping trip?

Sam felt as though he was working against the clock. His hands felt clumsy with the thin wires and that's without mentioning the circuitboards which kept slipping from between his fingers. His eyes kept coming in and out of focus, not because he was tired, because his eyes had been straining for so long. He'd confined himself to his bedroom for the last few hours but it practically felt like days.

All of his hard work has amounted to no more than a couple of wired circuitboards lying on the dark green mat that he'd lain out to protect the surface of the desk. He groaned in frustration and wanted to throw the work across the room so it would shatter against a wall. He calmed himself and repeated the mantra that this was all for Dean.

The idea of building the man his own time machine was ambitious but at least any work he did wouldn't be wasted if Dean suddenly disappeared tomorrow as the people in the lab would probably want to see his efforts. He'd been thinking about how much Dean missed home when the idea come to him while at work. It'd been easy enough to get some parts together as he was always working on projects at home so it was pretty commonplace for him to be popping in and out of the room of parts.

He knew that it'd take him months to get anywhere near as close as they were at the lab so he knew to start early. The plan was to get it all up and running without the other man finding out about Sam's plan.

With recent developments on the relationship front, maybe it would be better to get rid of Dean sooner rather than later. He didn't want this to get too strained between them.

Sam finally packed away his tools and the beginnings of the device when his eyelids were starting to droop and he knew that his curfew would hit anytime soon.

He hoped that maybe he'd get some more opportunities to work on it without Dean realising what is going on.

---

Dean peered up at his watch from where he was lying in his bed. It was the first night that he'd actually had to put his own bed out but after over a week, he'd learnt how to do it. It was almost one, Sam's curfew, but the man hadn't come out to say goodnight; Dean couldn't figure out whether he was disappointed by that or not.

The light, which bled out from beneath Sam's door, had just flicked out signalling that Sam had headed to bed. Dean wondered whether this was what Sam would usually do in the night time and had grown bored of him. As a result, had just gone back to how it was before. He really hoped not as he liked Sam and didn't want to waste time while the man worked.

He considered if maybe in the next few days, Sam would take him outside somewhere just to get a change of scenery. A hunter rarely remained in one place, apart from in a hospital but even then they'd usually make a dash a few weeks before their release date. Maybe Sam would be too busy to take him somewhere?

He eventually fell asleep dreaming about Sam and running away from possessed nurses together back in 2012. He couldn't decide whether it was a nightmare or pleasant dream. The idea of Sam coming home with him certainly was positive though.

----
Three days later and it was the day Dean had been waiting for, Sam had the Saturday off and they were running low on supplies so he'd need to make a run to the store. The idea thrilled the hunter.

"Can I come too?" He was practically bouncing on his seat at the breakfast bar. "Please?"

Sam chuckled, Dean acting like an overexcited puppy made him laugh, "Okay but one condition: no talking to future people. You never know what the might ruin for you."

"Of course!" Dean agreed eagerly.

"Okay then. You ready?"

----
The store was largely underwhelming. Dean shared this thought with Sam but the younger man had merely shrugged and had warned him that it wasn't going to be anything exciting. The hunter peered around the large warehouse sized room in distaste. Instead of the aisles that he'd grown accustomed to, there were just rows upon rows of touch screen machines with some sort of table attached to each one. Dean estimated that there was probably around one hundred of the machines.