Ch 36~ Gone

Harley's POV

Gaining vision of my surroundings, my mind took a while to catch up with the rest of my body as I reached my arm over, hoping to feel another's body next to me.

But felt nothing.

Shooting up from the bed I frantically gazed upon the empty space.
Where did he go?

-"J!!! Puddin!! Where are you?!" I screeched, tears blurring my vision as I looked for any other being.

Striding up the stairs my heart dropped with every step.

-"Red!" I called out, hoping to see her bright hair. But as I waited for any sign of someone else, I heard nothing.

All I could do was walk back to the bed me and him lay just last night, and stare at the crumpled blankets that once covered him.

Laying on top, I breathed in his scent as tears flooded the pillow. Suddenly I heard a crumple of a piece of paper under the pillow. My mind jolted and so did my heart as I grabbed it. Unfolding the paper, I carefully read the scribbled ink words.

You deserve so much more now, Harley. I believe in your ability to live a life without me. I will never forget every second with you by my side. Thank you for showing me feelings I never thought I'd ever experience again, but all I am doing now is destructing you. Do not come for me, I'm already too far gone.

I love and want what's best for you my dear,
J.

No. He can't be gone. How could he just-

-"Harley! Honey are you okay?!" Red concernly asked, whisking over to my hunched over body.

All I could do was look up at her face as my lip quivered, a huge breakdown barely holding itself back.

-"H-he left Red." I whimpered, as I peered down at the crumpled paper. "He said he wouldn't, why would he do th-"

-"I think he saw how he was hurting you Harley. You're toxic to each other. Him caring about your well being, even if that means him losing what makes him happy is what it takes, then he does love you. But this is what is best for you." Red lightly smiled, while wiping the tears off my cheeks.

What she was saying made somewhat of sense, but my heart took over as all I could think about was where he went.

Without a second glance, I ran out of the door as my mind span in circles. Running as fast as my feet could take me, I ran to J's mansion.

Once I got there, I busted through the door looking for any sight of him or his henchmen. But all that was left was a few furniture and what's left of my clothes.

All hope was draining from me as I laid in what used to be our bed. Memories flooding back to me with the hint of his scent on the sheets.

A smile crept up on my face as I thought about the times we spent in this bed. All the stolen kisses, and late night conversations. A giggle escaped in the empty room as I thought about the time I almost burnt the house down trying to make him a proper breakfast. But a tear strung down my face as the sight of his cheeky smile as he embraced me in his arms that morning came to mind.

Through my teary eyes I saw a dark figure at the entrance of the door. Averting my attention, a glimmer of hope came back to me as I saw Batman standing.

-"Where is J?" I questioned, walking up to the tall figure.

-"He's gone." He muttered, staring straight at the wall, not look anywhere in my direction.

-"You came her for a reason B-man, so just tell me." I urged, grabbing his face to look at me.

-"Harley, its best he's far from you, and you know that."

As I looked at him, I saw the remorse in his eyes and the uncertainty in every word he spoke.

Why was he here? Not just to remind me J's gone.

-"C'mon B-man spit it out. Why are you here?" I snapped, growing impatient.

-"An incident happened before Joker left. I guess he was low on money, so him and his henchman robbed a bank in the city. One thing led to another, and he had the mayor as a hostage."

-"Y-you didn't kill him?" I whimpered. My vision became hazy as panic took over, hanging on a thread of madness as I waited for his answer.

-"No. But he did get shot, Harley. Some random man with a gun shot him in the left temple." He affirmed, as he pointed to the location of the bullet.

-"So, is he okay?!" I basically screamed, as a negative feeling took over.

-"H-he's in a coma, and they don't know when he will wake, or even if he will."

My thoughts were a jumbled mess as I recollected what he just told me. All I could think about was seeing J in front of me for myself.

-"Take me to him." I said, wiping the excess tears off my face.

~

Hope you enjoy❤️ I love you all so much for supporting and continuing to read this book.