34 - A War Cry

Polver Moss sat on a rug surrounded by a few other men.

He motioned for the lark children to come join them when they timidly entered the trawler stofa. Men, women and children scurried back and forth from the building, packing up goods and bringing them out to their fen bands.

It was the complete opposite of the Owl Council Stofa, thought Hero. There were no paintings or murals on the walls, or books to be read and studied. Instead of wood panels and opulent chandeliers, rough torches had been lit by the open windows to allow light to filter in, and a fire blazed on a large copper plate in the middle of the room. The smoke rose up and out of an aperture in the roof. The men, and a few women they now saw better, sat on hides directly on the ground around the fire, their faces grave and solemn.

"You've come a long way. We hope you'll be comfortable and accept our brief hospitality," said Moss.

The children were very surprised to hear how learned he sounded. His language was unaccented, like an owl council judge thought Hero, and not at all like the other trawlers they'd met so far.

"Migibi amit!" He snapped his fingers impatiently at a few boys who waited in the shadows.

They ran outside and returned quickly with large plates of food that they set on the ground in front of Moss and the others. The children's eyes wandered over the dishes, searching for anything that looked familiar.

They were famished, but none of them dared touch the plates as they didn't recognize any of the food.

"Have you not tried degul meat before? It's delicious, I promise," Polver pointed to some dried meat.

The childrens' eyes grew big, as they collectively imagined how Moss might have killed the creature they now feasted upon, with his own large hands.

"And we call this k'elemi," he continued pleasantly, "you dip these pieces of bread in it. And over here we have some ruzi, which is like the rice you eat, but ours is a little harder, has a more nutty taste too."

Hero looked at Ivan and Adelmus on either side of her. She knew they wouldn't try anything unless she went first, and so she took a piece of bread and dipped it into the creamy sauce.

It was tasty enough. Ivan soon followed and ate with her.

Adelmus pretended he wasn't hungry though and fiddled with his sling.

They were poured a hot, bitter tea that tasted wretched at first, but which grew on them quickly. It warmed and settled their stomachs pleasantly and complimented the food.

"What is this?" Ivan asked.

"Aranik'a- or wild bog tea."

"It's a little bitter at first, but then delicious after!" Hero declared.

Adelmus licked his lips and finally tried a piece of the degul meat. Soon he was eating hungrily, sampling everything he'd seen Hero and Ivan try.

All the while, Polver Moss watched them with a slight, condescending amusement that irritated Hero. His forehead was tall and broad with dark eyebrows and eyes that hid his thoughts well, she observed.

"Eat well, for your journey has just begun."

"Journey?! Is that why your camp is packing up?" Ivan asked boldly, strengthened now it appeared by the food in his stomach.

Moss regarded him closely, and responded as though Ivan were an equal.

"You have a journey ahead of you, while we are preparing for war."