9- And It Shall Be Re-Written Soon

Hero closed the large book quickly and shoved it on to a shelf along with the others she held. At the last second she took off her black cap, and pushed it in between the books so that she could find his book easily again.

She searched for a place to hide.

Below on the floor of the Stofa, an immense Owl judge with a long red beard and great tufts of hair raised his arms above his head and spoke loudly over the voices that had risen in fear. "Quiet! Be quiet and listen!" He called out in a booming voice.

The room grew quiet as everyone turned to him. Hero crept deeper into the stacks so as not to be seen by the scholars who were now leaning over the wooden banisters of the mezzanine.

"We do not know what they seek, but you can be sure they will not stop until they find it. Get rid of our business of the last few days... maps, notes, anything else which may give rise to questions, and commit crucial information to memory!"

"But Ogdin, how can the Hummerlads enter the Council? It is not allowed! Surely the King has lost his mind!"

"It is yet another sign that the King is not in charge," Ogdin responded calmly, and added, "we cannot debate this just now. Move quickly!"

The drolls sprang to action, directing the Ocs to take any written paper, drawn maps and notes to the kitchen.

"Throw them in the fire, and be sure to stir the ashes. Leave no evidence! And then all of you Ocs stay in the kitchen!"

The scholars who were on the mezzanine gathered their papers, and fled down the stairs, while Hero pressed herself into the shadows and searched once again for a place to hide. But there seemed to be no hidden spaces, just catalogue bureaus with many drawers, and huge wooden bookshelves filled with ancient manuscripts, scrolls and books of all sizes. She went from one stack to the next, and was at the end of the row when she looked up and saw an enormous scroll about the length and width of her body. It must have been quite old, for it was so big, and was on a very top, wider shelf against the wall. Nimbly, she climbed the shelves, and tucked herself between the scroll and the wall, hoping she could not be seen.

Her timing was good, as in the next moment the Hummerlads entered the Stofa below.

"Search the room!" The leader called out.

The Hummerlad soldiers fanned out across the room, knocking over tea cups and pitchers with their swords. They overturned chairs, and shoved the drolls and scholars out of their way.

"Under what law do you have the right to search our premises?" Ogdin asked, stepping in front of the Hummerlad leader.

The judges, scholars and drolls stood behind Ogdin in proud defiance and support.

"The King's Law of course!"

"The King has always abided by the laws of the Owl Council. It is written-" cried one of the younger judges.

"And it shall be re-written soon. We won't be long."

The Hummerlad leader was calmly walking up and down the Stofa, while his men had fanned out across the great hall.

"There is a young lark girl- she may have come this way from the market a short while ago."

Ogdin turned to his fellow judges and drolls, all of whom appeared baffled. They looked at one another and then to the Hummerlads in confusion.

"The only lark girls here are among the Ocs children, and they have been with us for several days already," Ogdin declared.

"And where are they now?" The Hummerlad leader asked.