26 - Pierce and Shred

They ran through the Marshlands towards the river. The tall, reedy grasses nicked their arms and legs insistently with ever step, and the sun beat down hard.

The wind had stopped blowing, and all was still.

As they rounded a bend, they saw that the river twisted and turned until it disappeared in the distance. To their surprise, a long boat sat quietly in the water just below them. The ship was moored and was a narrow sort of barge with windows running along the raised deck. The bow and stern peaked in a scrolled fashion, and two enormous sails collapsed in the fading wind. Two fen wagons draped in heavy canvas stood on either side of it on the banks of the river, the ponies relaxed, and chewing at the grass.

Though they were still at some distance, Hero saw a figure moving about, tending to the ponies. She called out and waved her arms madly as they ran, trying to attract his attention.

"Trawlers! I bet Old Pushba sent word to her friends," Adelmus was saying, when Ivan interrupted.

"Look!" He nodded towards the sky, and adjusted Aggie's weight in his arms.

The black form which had started as a small dot above the city, was now a swirling cloud that moved directly towards them. It grew larger as it neared, and swayed as one form.

"That's an odd cloud...but how does move without wind?" Adelmus murmured.

It swerved back and forth, and only as it grew near did the children recognize the distinct form of each part - twenty or so large birds that made up the shadowy mob. These birds were much bigger than clocker crows, and their heads were hooded with a tuft of vermilion feathers. They had an enormous wingspan and gnarled, hooked talons that appeared eager to pierce and shred whatsoever they landed upon.

The boy by the boat must have noticed, for he stood up straight and grabbed what looked like a staff from the back of the fen wagon. His gestures were familiar, though Hero didn't have time to wonder why. He peered at the sky, at the approaching dark mass, and then sped into action.

He hollered towards the boat and pointed to the sky, and then at Hero and the others. An older man had emerged and set to work with the rigging on the deck. He tossed a length of rope to the boy on the river bank, and lowered the sails completely. The boy meanwhile tied ropes to the back of the fen wagons, and pulled on them to be sure they were secure.

Hero looked to the sky again, and felt the skin prickle at the back of her neck.

"That's no cloud- those are crows, or something like them! We've got to get to the river!"

She fetched the slingshot from her satchel, along with a handful of arrows, and then took off running at speed. The boys followed her as best they could, but nobody could ever keep up with Hero.

She was now but a stone's throw from the river, and saw that the younger fellow by the closer fen wagon was in fact Marcus, the trawler boy who'd helped her get to the Owl Council.

"Hello!" She called, relieved to see a familiar, kind face.

"Look out!" He pointed just above her head, and at the same time she heard Adelmus calling to her from behind.

"Hero, run!"

She turned to see one of the hideous birds come swooping down from the sky towards her. She loaded the slingshot and aimed carefully. The arrow missed, and she tried to load another, but her hands shook violently as the creature neared. She dropped the arrow, and tried to load once more, but it was no use. The bird's long, hooked beak opened as it descended upon her.

Hero crouched, and put her hands up defensively.

Remarkably, the clever creature did not touch Hero, and instead tried to rip the satchel from her side. But its talons were too big for the strap, and it wasn't able to gain purchase. Hero fell to the ground, and kicked at the angry beast with her feet. It flew up and hovered for a moment, giving her time to load another arrow. This time her arrow found its mark.