11- Tell Me All That You Know

Hero was dreaming that her satchel had been torn from her in a shamal swell that carried it away. She jumped and tried to chase it but her legs were ever so slow. Every time her hand came near, the swell would carry the satchel further into the sky.

A knocking sound and a series of low hoots diverted her attention for a moment, and when she looked behind her down the road, she saw the beautiful veiled figure of the woman in the desert. The knocking was quiet but persistent and continued along with the deep hoots. When she looked back into the sky, her satchel was gone.

Hero woke with a terrible fright and and sat up. She threw the blanket off, felt around for her satchel, and held it close.

Her mother had given her the satchel, just like Croo Mickel had said. She closed her eyes, and hugged it to her chest.

Adelmus stirred and rolled over onto his side still sleeping, while the fire burned brightly next to them, a few fresh peat bricks now sitting on top. The Owl maid was not in her chair, but stood very still at the sink wearing a freshly pressed dress and a crisp yellow apron. She looked fairly recovered after her ordeal. The welt above her eye was gone, and her cheek only slightly bruised now.

She looked at Hero, her eyes wide.

"Who would that be now at this early hour?" She whispered to Hero.

Hero shook her head and then stood up to go look herself.

"No, ye don't. Wait here," The Owl maid wiped her hands on her apron and disappeared down the long hallway.

The storm had ended some time during the night, and aside from the quiet knocking on the front door, there was no other sound.

Hero shook Adelmus awake.

"What-" Hero put her hand over his mouth for a second until he understood he had to be silent.

They both strained to listen. They heard the owl maid unlatch the front door and speak in hushed tones to whomever had been knocking. The door closed and the latch sounded again.

Hero and Adelmus looked at one another.

"We've got to get out of here!" Adelmus whispered to Hero who nodded vigorously in agreement. They stood up and made ready to leave.

The Owl maid walked quickly back into the kitchen followed by an old beggar covered in shawls and the red sands of a shamal. The poor soul was so hunched over that he only came to the Owl maid's waist. His face was hidden, and he walked with a limp using a staff to guide his way. He was so covered in sand, they all marveled that he had walked through the storm at all.

"Now sit yerself down here while I gather some breakfast for ye all. I'll just make the best tea now sir, and those snake eggs ye so love with the fine herbs. Those little buggers didn't find all me food now! The storm has ended, but how ye got here through the mountains of sand, I've no idea! Come now children, attend to our friend, and help him off with his boots while I prepare a fine meal the likes of which ye've never laid eyes upon before!"

The Owl maid pulled open a hidden cupboard under the sink which was packed with food, while the stranger slowly sat himself down in the chair by the fire.

"Can we get you some water?" Hero asked the hooded figure, seeing how the Owl maid was fussing over the stranger.

"You can indeed," a voice under the shawls responded, much stronger than either Hero or Adelmus could have anticipated.

Hero's skin tingled, and her face turned bright red. She knew that voice.

Adelmus saw Hero's discomfort, and summoning all his courage he stepped in front of Hero, his head held high.