16. Vision

The sun coming through the curtains finally pulled me from my mid-morning snooze. My eyes felt heavy as I blinked sleep away from them, and I sat up quietly as I rubbed my eyes. My hair was all over the place, odd curls stuck up at odd angles, and I hadn't changed out of what I was wearing last night. I glanced towards the door and I wasn't sure if I really wanted to leave the room, but the sound of laughter from downstairs brought me back to attention. I placed my legs over the edge of the bed and got up, meandering towards the hall as I yawned.

Everyone was crowded around the kitchen, attempting to peer over the others to get a look inside. I didn't even have to push through as they all parted to let me see. I was surprised to see fresh fruits lining the counter, everything from apples and pears to lemons and grapes, all seemingly fresh picked and smelling delightful. Kaage stood off to the side, and I smiled at him, knowing he was the one to have retrieved all of it. The man gave me a small nod of acknowledgment and I retreated back to let everyone else get their first picks.

"I haven't seen this much fresh fruit in years," Devorah said quietly, grabbing ahold of a pear. To my surprise I watched as it withered away in her hands, and her face went from amazed to woeful.

"Here, let me cut one up for you." Crowe offered, taking another pear and a plate as she threw the remnants of hers away. He made quick work of the oblong item and she smiled at him, letting the man sit with her at the table as she ate with a fork.

I reached forward and snagged an orange, taking the time to hold it over the trash can as I neatly peeled it. Nolan joined me, picking the flesh off of his in tiny pieces. It was so irritating to watch that I eventually snatched it out of his hands and went to peel it myself. He laughed slightly, trying to hold back a smile as I handed it back.

"You know I can't watch you struggle like that," I scoffed, grabbing my orange again and peeling it apart. It was sweet and juicy, but not enough to drip into your fingers and make a mess.

"I knew you'd grab it once you saw me with it," he snickered, eating a piece whole, "you always did that when we were back home."

"It's an orange, not an eggshell," I laughed, "it shouldn't be that difficult to peel!"

"I'm just a little difficult, now aren't I?"

"You can say that again." I rolled my eyes playfully, nudging him with my elbow. Something settled on my shoulders and it felt like a soft weight, familiar in it's presence. I almost regretted slipping back into my old, playful demeanor with him. It felt...wrong.

While I was busy tearing into my orange, I hadn't quite noticed Nolan's pause. He'd frozen to the spot, like he was gripped in ice. I finally turned around, just in time to watch him plummet to the ground. Instantly I dropped to my knees and started shouting his name, shaking his shoulders as he lay completely still. Everyone began to gather around the spot, and Sergei pushed through, dropping down beside me to try and help him.

"What's going on?!" I screeched, lifting him up by his shoulders and trying to get his attention, "Nolan, say something!"

"He's not having a seizure...I-I don't know-"

Nolan's eyes flicked open suddenly and I let out an ear-piercing scream. They were completely clouded over, set into a skull they didn't belong to. Instantly I backed away, only to watch in sheer terror as he seemed to regain consciousness. His eyes were back to their normal jade but I was still shaken to the core. I'd backed myself against the island, and my heart was slamming away in my ribs as I sobbed hysterically.

"Agnes?" Nolan started for me, but I'd bolted upright in seconds, slamming my head into the countertop before I sprinted out of the room.

The door slammed behind me as I leapt into the snow, the heat radiating from my body enough to melt a path for me. I dove into the woods headfirst, tumbling into the sticks and leaves as I ran. Even though there were sharp needles and pinecones beneath my bare feet, I could barely feel any pain compared to the one in my head. It was as if someone had ripped every nerve apart and set it all on fire. It throbbed once, and I stopped in my tracks, flying forward as my foot caught on a tree root. The moment I landed my body burst into flames and I did my best not to scream again.