2. Note

"Finally!"

My stomach snarled at me as two food trays were slid underneath the door. I picked one up and handed it to Devorah, who took one look at it and began to dig in. We were only allowed plastic silverware, cheap stuff at that. It didn't make a sharp point if you broke it, so it was almost no use trying to keep them. I just looked at the spoon and got another reminder of Necro, and my heart sank to my feet. The food didn't even taste good at this point but I knew I still needed it.

"At least they feed us good," Devorah said through a mouthful of mashed potatoes, "it's more than we ever got when I was in that prison."

"That's because it was a death camp, not prison." I corrected her, and she shrugged.

"It's all the same."

I picked around my mashed potatoes and corn, eating what I could and pushing around what I didn't want. The jello tasted like a block of watery cherries, and I was reminded of the almost gourmet food that Sergei and Marshall could produce. The chicken-fried steaks and chocolate waffles, it all took away my appetite and only made my stomach howl.

"When we get out of here," I laughed to myself, "I'm going to make us some chocolate chip pancakes, with whipped cream and strawberries."

"I don't think I've ever had that." Devorah replied softly, and I hung my head in defeat.

"I used to have it every few days, when we were hiding out in that bunker. Sergei was amazing at making them, that and the Belgian waffles, my God he was a great cook. And Marshall could make the meanest pork steak you'd ever tasted," I felt a tear slip down my cheek as I reached up to grip the empty space around my neck, "I miss him so much."

"He really was your family, wasn't he?"

"They all were," I wheezed, "they were my brothers and sisters, and Marshall was always such a dad and Sergei was the good uncle. Osiris and Murmur were the older siblings and Thamyris was the protective one, especially over Lily."

"And Necro?"

"He was my everything," I said quietly, "he still is, if he's alive. The last time I saw him, Crowe was dragging him out of the building over his shoulders."

"Young love, it's always a curse," Devorah laughed a knowing laugh, "before the war started, all the boys were asking me to the dances and trying to get my hand in a relationship. I always said no, of course, I didn't like boys. I was too focused on other things."

"That's a good thing though, because they're not the source of your problems." I laughed, placing my tray on the ground and curling up on my cot. "That's all they've ever been for me."

We laughed for a few seconds and I felt myself relax, pulling the blanket up around my shoulders and listening as someone walked by to pick up my tray. To my surprise, I heard a small rustling sound, right before a piece of paper was slipped beneath the door. Devorah and I both looked at each other before I dove for the slip, snatching it up in my jittery fingers.

"What's it say?" Devorah whispered, walking up beside me as the lights flickered slightly.

"20-02-45, 38-12-24...These are cell numbers." I told her, walking towards the door again and peering out. Through the crack in the bottom of the cell door I could see the number across the hall. "We're in the 70's, so they're a far ways from us. I can only guess that they're in different Classes."

"Do you think it's your friends?" She asked.

"I'm not sure," I counted the series of numbers, "there's seven numbers here, so there's seven cells. Whoever gave us this obviously has a few other subjects in mind besides my friends."

"Maybe they're trying to help us get out."

"Get out and recruit a few others is my bet," I folded the paper up and placed it in the pocket of my sweats, "do you happen to know where we are? Like, what state and city?"

"This is the biggest facility out of all of them, but I think...I think I've heard them say we were in Pennsylvania."

"We're on the other side of the country then," I nodded, "far from where I started."

"Whoever is out there trying to help us then," she said suspiciously, "must be one of your friends."

I glanced back towards the door, a heavy feeling in my heart. My feet carried me back to the bars and I lifted myself up, attempting to look through the small window. One of the bars was missing from my earlier outburst and I found myself arguing over what I was trying to do. Eventually I sighed and backed away, knowing that it wasn't worth it to attempt to speak to anyone. I knew I wasn't going to get a response back.

"Whoever's out there is going to have to help us out a lot more if they want us to free these people." I whispered, pulling out the numbers again. I put them to memory, reading them over and over and over again until I could recite them in verse, like poetry.

I valued any type of art these days, even if they were crappy little rhymes and old songs. I remembered Lily's drawings and stories in her fairytale books, and even with how dark they were, I missed her little black eyes. Devorah climbed into her blanket and fell asleep; quiet, soft soot falling from her body while she slept. I turned over and faced the wall, scooting closer to it and resting my forehead on the cold cement. My body shuddered and a sheen of tears began to fall over my nose. I was doing my best not to sob, but the hieroglyphs on my body began to emit a faint, golden glow, and I was further reminded of my loss.

The only relief I had been able to seek in all of this time was that there was no thunder to be heard, no lightning strikes or storms. I couldn't hear the rain on the roof, even though I was sure we'd gone through storms ten times the size of the ones back home. I pressed my finger to the wall and wished for there to be sunlight, maybe even blue skies or the fire of a sunset. Or even better, a mirror. I felt dysphoria, disconnected from my own sense of self. I couldn't tell you if I was human or a monster, but I could say this: I sure as hell wasn't the person I was last year. I guess you could say I took a page out of Osiris's book.

I missed that woman dearly. Her shameless attitude and humble strength were qualities I wished I could one day possess. Those weren't the things I took to heart though, oh no. They only fear you if you strike fear in them. Boy, was I ready to strike fear within these blind sheep. I traced a line of inky tattoos that wrapped around my wrist, feeling the ancient power flowing through my bones and Osiris' wise whisper ringing in my ears. She was telling me to be strong, to hold out and pull through this just as I'd done before. I clutched my fists closely to my heart, feeling the thud against my ribs as my anger dwelled within. I needed out of here as soon as possible.

The lights flickered above my head and I could feel the power seeping out of my pores, polluting the air and making it impossible to ignore. Soon enough they'd have to lock me within the confines of the S Class hall, where I wouldn't be able to speak as loudly, or act as freely. If you could call this "free".

Moonlight Sonataजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें