Chapter 23

We were 3 days away from leavig Texas and I still hadn't met Pappy Joe.

The 4 of us were sitting in the kitchen table eating breakfast. It was quiet. The only sound was our forks hitting the plate as we picked up the pieces of the pancakes.

I looked over at Lucas and noticed he was on the verge of crying. As was his grandmother and aunt.

I looked down at my food then back at Lucas, his gaze focused on the corner of his plate.

I was extremely confused. What is going on, I asked myself. I kept my head down, looking at each of them from the corners of my eyes.

As I was about to break the silence, a tall brunette came rushing in, without knocking.

She stood in front of all of us, wearing a knee high striped dress with some black converse and her hair, neatly pinned in a ballerina bun.

"Is it true?" Lottie asked, her voice cracking.

Leila looked up at her, and a single tear streamed down her face.

"No, this can't be true," she said frantically looking around, pacing back and forth around the kitchen, "it can't be, I just saw him. I saw him two nights ago, he was fine. He was."

She turned pale and sat down on the floor, she crossed her legs and started sobbing.

Cheryl quickly stood up from her chair and lifted Lottie up, grabbing her by the shoulders, her hair was in her face and she was sobbing uncontrollably.

Leila was just sitting there. Emotionless.
Lucas was crying by now. His head down in his hands, rocking back and forth.

I walked over to Lucas and lifted his head up.

"Lucas, what's wrong??" I asked kneeling down next to him.

He looked up at me, eyes red, hair in his eyes.

"This mor- This morning, my, my... the nurse that, that took care of my pappy Joe, my pappy Joe," he whispered, he threw himself on me, causeing both of us to fall on the ground. "She called us from the nursery home and she told us".I sat him up and he laid his head on my shoulders and kept crying and crying.

He lifted his head up after a while of just sitting there and looked me straight in the eyes. "He's dead Maya. They found him in his bed this morning, not breathing."

I put my hand to my mouth and quickly grabbed Lucas, holding him to my chest, rocking him back and forth. Caressing his soft hair.

I looked over to Leila who was still staring into nowhere.

I looked over at Grandma Cheryl, still holding Lottie.

I immediately stated crying into Lucas's hair whispering sorry over and over again.

"I'm sorry Lucas. I'm sorry." I repeated as he continued crying into my chest.

"I- I never ... I never got to meet him." I said to myself out loud.

He lifted his head up once more. "And you're never gonna."

Rip pappy Joe💔 I hope you enjoyyy this sad chapter. I'm writing a new story called Oh-Livia but I just can't get it the way I want it to be. If I published it, would you guys read it? ❤️ ok byeee