Chapter 26

Haley's POV

My eyes shot open as the morning sun made itself known in my bedroom. I yawned for what felt like a good minute, rubbing the sleep from my eyes in the process. I checked the clock. 7:30 a.m. I never get up this early. I thought to myself but shook off the thought. My legs were thrown out from the comforts of my bed as the cool breeze from the air conditioner hit my skin. It felt nice, refreshing almost. I pulled my body from the bed, grabbing a clean pair of panties and a bra. I made my way across the hall towards the bathroom. I felt like relaxing today. No more Wes drama and everything seemed to be falling into place. Cliche sounding, I know but I was serious. Charlie and I's relationship is at it's strongest point, I believe, it's ever been, I get to attend the college of my dreams, mom seems to be in a better mood lately, Jo and I are finally talking again. It all seemed right, perfect almost. But that's never the plan for me. My life won't let me even have the word "perfect" in my vocabulary.

I shook my head, ridding my mind of those negative thoughts. Today wasn't going to be filled with negativity. Today was going to be nothing but positive. At least that's what Im hoping for.

The cool water was felt on my fingers as the faucet for the bath was turned on. As I waited for it to fill, I walked towards the cabinet to see if I had any left over bubble bath. A smile spread on my face as I picked up a blue bottle about half full filled with the liquid. I twisted the cap off before tipping the bottle on its side and letting it seep into the water of the bath. I turned, closing the door and locking it before undressing and slipping into the tub. As I settled in, my eyes slowly closed. It felt so nice and relaxing. Like there was no stress or tension. My eyes opened only moments later when my phone began to buzz with a new message. I dried my hand with a nearby towel before picking it up to see who it was from.

+

From Jo:

Hey! Im heading to the mall today and was wondering if you'd like to come? I'm in need of some shopping and would love to catch up with you! Text me when you know if you can!

+

A smile spread on my face. I remember Jo and I would go to the mall every Wednesday after school. Shopping, stop for some frozen yogurt, and of course talk about all the things going on at school. I've missed those days so I'm happy she texted me about coming today.

+

To Jo:

I'd love to! Meet you at our regular spot?

+

My phone vibrated an instant later with an ok from her. I shut off my phone placing it back where it formerly was. My head dipped back as my eyes roamed around the ceiling of my bathroom.

*****

After getting out of the bath, fixing my hair, and settling on an outfit for the day, I headed downstairs to be met with the back of my mom's head as she prepared something in the kitchen.

"Hey, mom, is it alright if I head to the mall?"

"Sure. Doing something with Charlie?" She asked, turning to face me as she stirred something in a big bowl.

"No, actually. Jo called me."

"Jo? As in Joanna Nix? Your ex-best friend from 2 years ago?" My mother stood baffled as her continuous questions tumbled from her mouth.

"Yes, mom. We ran into each other a couple days ago and we've really missed our friendship."

"Oh. Wow, I haven't heard you mention her since sophomore year."