Chapter 16

Haley's POV

"Haley? Haley? Sweetie, wake up its your birthday." A familiar voice chimed above me.

I opened my eyes to meet my father's. He sat on my bed, smiling down at me.

"Now my little princess, how old are you today? 18? 21?"

"I'm only 6, daddy!" I reminded him as he laughed with me.

"Well then, Happy 6th birthday, my little princess." He placed a brand new stuffed animal on my lap as I admired the toy. It's fur was golden, not a speck of dirt on it. I loved it.

"Thank you, daddy! It's beautiful." I said, hugging the animal to my chest.

"You're welcome, sweetie." He leaned down to kiss my forehead as I followed him downstairs to my mother's voice.

*****

"How do you think the kids will take it? Having to grow up without a father?" I listened by my parents door as my mother talked. Where was my father going?

"I can't help it. It's my duty. I have to go."

"How are we going to tell them? Haley's going to be heartbroken." My mother sniffled.

"I'm sorry. I really am. I don't have any other options here though. I leave in two days."

I backed away from the door as my father walked out. He looked down at me, his eyes softening. He said nothing, instead patting my head before walking down the hall.

*****

"No, daddy please don't go." I sobbed, holding onto my father in an attempt to stop him from leaving.

He was dressed in a green uniform with a large bag. I didn't know where he was going, all I knew is I didn't want him to go.

"I'm sorry, princess. I'll be home as soon as I can. I love you. Take care of mommy and Tom." He knelt down in front of me, wiping away my constant tears.

"No, daddy! You can't leave! You can't!"

I watched as he gathered his things, turning to leave.

"No!" I breathed, my eyes shooting open.

I looked to my left. Charlie watched me as I gathered my breath again. It was all a dream. Better yet, a memory. Or should I say a nightmare now that was only there to remind me of the loss I've suffered from.

"You okay?" His intense gaze watched me, waiting for an answer.

"Y-ya. Just a dream." I breathed out, brushing my hair back.

His hand reached over, his thumb rubbing underneath my eyes. Stray tears littered my cheeks. Guess it felt more real than I thought.

"You sure?"

"Yeah. I'll be fine." I tried to convince him but he seemed to figure out there was always more behind every "I'm fine."

He sighed but didn't press on any further. I peered out of the car window. We were parked in a small gas station parking lot.

"How come you stopped?"

"Well I was just going to fill this up by then you started talking in your sleep. Saying no and dad a lot. Are you sure you're alright?"

"I'm positive. It was just a bad dream." I said, laying my head back agaisnt the window. "Lets just get going."

He nodded, backing up before heading back out onto the road. I kept my eyes open for the rest of the drive. If these dreams would keep coming back than I didn't want to go back to sleep. It was all just too painful. I looked out the window as I began tracing shapes in the clouds again. My imagination beginning to run wild with what they could be. Hundreds of thousands of things all in one sky.