Chapter 6: Please Don't Leave Me [EDITED]

Start from the beginning

As Sam leads Jean towards their father's and brother's rooms, he starts to tell her, in a whisper, about everything that has happened since the night of her drunken phone call to him. He starts by telling her how the vampires that had killed Daniel Elkins had taken from him a Colt revolver that can kill anything and how the three of them had worked together to retrieve it. Sam then tells her about the demon Meg and how she had been the one that killed Pastor Jim Murphy and Caleb. As they climb the stairs to the second floor, he goes on to explain that Meg had threatened to kill more of John's friends if he didn't hand the Colt over to her. John had taken a replica Colt and went to meet with Meg while Sam and Dean stayed behind in Salvation, Iowa with the real colt to wait for the yellow-eyed demon to show up. When the demon eventually arrived, Sam confronted him and tried to shoot him but he missed. Sam then tells her about Meg's phone call to them and how he and Dean went to Bobby's to trap Meg and interrogate her.

At this point, Sam stops and turns to Jean and asks her, "By the way, where were you? I thought Bobby was supposed to be watching you like a hawk?"

Jean runs her hand through her long, red hair. "I thought that Jim and Caleb should have hunter funerals and I went to burn their bodies. Bobby didn't want to go so he asked Rufus to go with me." Jean says this last part with clear irritation in her voice. "I felt like a damn child having someone following me around all the time."

They begin to walk again and Sam picks up where he left off, with Dean, Sam, and Bobby exorcising Meg and sending her back to hell. Before she died, Meg's vessel managed to tell them that John was still alive and being held by demons. They managed to find John and rescue him but it turned out he was possessed by the yellow-eyed demon.

Sam and Jean come to a stop just outside of a room on the third floor and Sam finishes his tale by telling her how he had shot John in the leg and about the car wreck that put them in the hospital.

Jean lets out a low whistle, "Sounds like I missed one hell of a party."

A deep male voice calls out from inside of the room that Sam and Jean have been standing in front of, "Sam? Jean?"

Jean steps into the room and sees her father lying on a hospital bed with his right arm in a sling and a small wound on the left side of his forehead. "Hi, dad." She walks over to the side of his bed and Sam follows her.

John's eyes seem to light up when he sees his daughter and he gives her a small smile, "Hi, Red. You look beautiful."

Jean sits down in one of the chairs beside John's bed then pulls out the three candy bars from her jacket pocket and tosses one to Sam, another to John, then rips open the last one and takes a bite. John asks her, "Do you always carry candy bars around with you, Red?"

Jean shakes her head, swallows her bite of delicious sweetness, then replies, "Not always. Usually I just carry around a handful of hard candies."

John frowns, "You need to be careful Jean or hunters are going to mistake you for a trickster."

Jean shrugs, "There are worse things they could mistake me as. Sammy just told me about what happened with yellow eyes. I've got to admit, dad, I always thought it would be Bobby who finally shot you."

"Bobby would've been the safest bet," John replies.

Jean smirks at John's joke before she becomes serious, "Do you have any idea what yellow eyes meant by his 'plans' for Sam and others like him?" She frowns, "How many others like Sam could there be?"

John shakes his head, "I don't know." Jean, who is watching John carefully, can tell that he isn't telling the truth, but she decides not to say anything. She knows that if she calls John out on his lie, it will only start a fight between Sam and John. And with Dean in a coma, now seems like a poor time for them to be fighting.