Chapter Twenty-Five

Gerard P.O.V

Frank was completely silent. He had been like that ever since she had passed away. Her body had been shipped off to the morgue, and the house was dead silent. Even the baby didn't stir. He laid peacefully in my arms, staring up at me. Frank was sitting in her room, on her bed, in complete silence. He had been staring at the wall for hours, trying to process his emotions. I had been cleaning the blood from the floors, with no help from anyone. Mary's dad hadn't even come back, but that was a good thing. Frank would go insane. I threw the stained cloths into the bin in the kitchen, turning around with a sigh.

I wandered into the lounge, the baby was lying on the couch. I picked him up, rocking him from side to side. He squinted at me, as if his tiny mind was trying to comprehend who I was, and where he was. I wandered over to the window, peering out at the now night sky. It was littered with stars. I heard the creak of the floorboards upstairs, I smiled, hoping that Frank was coming out of his emotionless rut. Then I realised why he had moved. Looking at the stars had distracted me from the arrival of somebody. Their car was waiting outside, engine still on. The front door opened, then slammed shut. The baby frowned, still staring up at me.

"That's mine." I heard them say, I turned around slowly. It must've been her dad, he looked as if he was completely and utterly drunk. I frowned, holding the baby closer to me. He held out his hands, I backed towards a corner of the room. He wasn't touching that baby, even if it killed me to protect him. I watched as Frank appeared behind him, his hands balled into fists by his sides. I couldn't see whether he had something in his hands, whatever he was going to do I knew that I wanted to stop him.

"Frankie, think about what you're going to do. We can just get some things, and leave." I said calmly, the baby was staring up at me. Frank shook his head, the drunken man spinning on his heels to come face to face with him. Frank's breathing was irrational, I could hear the anger in it. "Frankie, come on, let's go." I said, edging slowly towards him.

"No, Gerard. Just go upstairs for a while, I'm fixing something." He growled, staring at Mary's father. I sighed, walking towards him, I went to grab his arm, to pull him away, but he moved it swiftly away from my grasp, pointing to the ceiling. With a baby in my arms I was in no position to argue with him. I sighed, walking fast so that the drunken man couldn't grab me. He watched me as I climbed the stairs, I could feel it. I could feel his anger, and I didn't like it. I felt like I didn't know him, like I had never even met him before.

I closed the door to the nursery shut, flicking on the light. I sat in the rocking chair by the window, staring down at the baby's peaceful face. He was sleeping, and I was glad about it. He was only a few hours old, but he had gone through too much. His mother was gone, his carers, by law, mentally ill and incapable of looking after a child. I sighed.

"You know, I'm sorry that you had to come into a world like this." I whispered to him, he was a baby, so it's not like he would've understood me. But, given the circumstance, I needed somebody to talk to. One of his blue eyes prised open, he was listening. I frowned, he copied me. "You're smart." I smiled, stroking his soft little cheek. I couldn't hear anything downstairs, so I didn't know what to expect when I went back down there.

"You deserve better little guy, honestly. You deserve a momma, and a daddy, and I don't know- a pony. A massive house with everything that you could ever want. I mean, I could afford to do that, it's just if Frank downstairs would want to join me." I shrugged, pulling a face. The baby squirmed, his arms breaking free of the blanket that I had wrapped him in. I pouted at him, he copied me. "And, I'm useless at parenting. I think that we'll have to pay a visit to my parents' house. You'll love my mom, she's amazing. My dad, he'll probably try to talk you into becoming a mechanic- don't do it. It's messy, boring, and you'll hate it. Then- there's Mikey. My brother, who absolutely despises me. I'm sure that he'll adore you. He'll play football with you... You'll be like the brother that he never had." I frowned, realising the last part of my sentence was true. I was never really as brother to him. I wasn't interested in him, or anything that he had to offer me.

"Maybe you'll get him to love me again." I said, looking down at him. I didn't plan on using him, but maybe he would've understood me. Understood that my sexuality wasn't a disease, that people like Frank and I were capable of looking after a child. That sexuality had nothing to do with abnormality.
-------------------------------------------------------
Song Of The Chapter- All Apologies by Nirvana(banana)

A.N
Are we getting emotional yet?? No? Well I'm not finished yet ;)

Lemme know what you think?? Don't forget to vote because it helps me out ;)