Chapter 15: Moonlight

⬆⬆⬆April Up There ⬆⬆⬆

Moonlight - Ariana Grande

Dedicated to: morrisondauthor
A True Inspiration

We're back to the present now...

Gabe POV:

               I wake up in a cold sweat.... I keep having that damn dream. That night everything went to hell. That  night that my life as I knew went to out the window.

                I must've startled Zay cause he's awake and rubbing my back. I smile toward him to assure him that I'm good but his face tells me he's not buying it.

                 "You okay? Ever since we got back you haven't got any sleep tell me what's on your mind," he says offering a weak smile. I fall back against him and I look for the words.

                 "I've been thinking about Nolan. More importantly, what happened to him. How it happened and how I wasn't here to help. He was my roommate not to mention my best friend." I say releasing a few tears.

                 "Gabe you can't blame yourself. Nolan was strong. He thought he could handle it himself. Baby, he didn't even tell me what he was planning."

                 "Like you're doing to me right now. I love you Zay. I don't wanna lose anybody I care about again. Tell me what's going on."

                   "Ma, OK I'll tell you. Look, we trying to find a way to take down Lock. As you've probably figured out Lock and Nolan we're together. He was the one who abused him. Then the night he died he wanted to invite you to dinner. He asked me if it was OK. I just nodded my head. I wanted to finally meet this incredible roommate of his. He went outside to make the call–."

                     I notice him starting to break. I kiss him to make him calm down. "I know baby. He was shot outside. That was the weekend I went home. If only I picked up that damn phone. I was still mad at him for the shit we were in. If only–." My stray tears become s streams down my face.

                    "Yo ma, quit buggin. It's only one persons fault and his name is LaQuan. That's what I've been planning. To make him pay for the life he took. I got enough dirt on him that his laundry will never come clean."

                     I start to settle into him,"Do you really gotta fight dirty?" He looks down at me and made me hate asking that question. "I'm just saying be smart about how you use it. I do have something I wanna ask you. When No' and I we're walking back to our dorm, I'm guessing that's when LaQuan was there; he said he had to tell me something. He never got a chance to tell me. Do you now?"

                    I notice that his he's clinching his jaw and squeezing me more into him. "I asked him to marry me Gabe. He was gonna tell you about it. Even to make me happy he wasn't gonna say to who. He just wanted you to be happy for him."

                      Now all the pieces are really falling into place. LaQuan was with Nolan but he was abusive. The only person who he thought could help was Zay. Zay loved him and it drove LaQuan crazy. He fucked up our lives and probably killed or had somebody kill my best friend. He was that living cliché, if I can't have you no one can. This leaves on more question...

                     "Zay, I don't want you to get mad. Am I your replacement  Nolan?" I stare deeply in his eyes. I desperately want him to say no.