Never Ending Stars

Selah felt like her heart was in her throat. 

Tonight was the night, she had only one chance to execute her plan well. She did all she could do to prepare herself, now she would have to actually go through with it.

At this very moment she was feeling the opposite of brave, she could hardly get herself to stand up. 

Selah tried to act as normal as possible, Noah was sleeping in his bed again and had been back inside of the house, but she felt that he had been paying even more attention to her than usual, it was probably her being overly paranoid. 

Noah and Sam had been so busy preparing for their family to arrive that they had decided against using their usual off days for leisure, instead putting even more work into finishing their projects. It was a benefit to Selah, but whenever Noah was around her he would seem to watch her more intently. Which in turn caused her to be more clumsy and jittery. 

She had to stop and take deep breaths to calm herself and regain her composure. She hadn't gotten more than a few minutes of sleep the entire weekend, which was becoming an apparent disadvantage to Selah. 

She was extremely distracted, when either of the men would talk to her or ask her questions she often found herself going completely blank, absent of an answer, because she wasn't paying attention to the question. So she avoided them as much as possible. 

She had no appetite. All day she had the urge to vomit, but her stomach was empty.

It was late in the afternoon, the sun was about to set. The few chores that Selah had tasked herself to work on were complete.

**************

Selah was in her room somberly reading over the note she'd written to Noah and Sam, a few tears escaping and running down her cheeks. She covered her mouth with her hand to stop herself from sobbing. 

She didn't know if she was being overly emotional, but she was completely overwhelmed, and the feeling that she would soon be walking to her death crept over her like a cloud. She was breaking out in a cold sweat, she knew she'd have to get her hysterics under control quickly.

She had to regain her composure then cook and eat one more meal with Sam and Noah. She hoped they would consume copious amounts of food and liquor to keep them asleep through the night. 

By the time she was done cooking supper she had nearly composed herself. Her hands were a bit shaky, but if she concentrated hard enough she was sure she could make it through the dinner unscathed or without attracting too much attention to her peculiar behavior.

She set their meals down before she called the men for dinner so they wouldn't see how unsteady her hand was when she served them.

As they walked in Selah placed down the carafe of amber whiskey on the table. She'd asked Sam to bring it for the small feast she prepared for dinner. 

"What's the occasion?" Noah's rough voice asked skeptically as he sat at the far end of the table.

"Nothing too fancy, sir. I just remembered you were telling me you family was coming soon. This might be the last time we can all sit and enjoy a meal like this together." she rushed the words out as they came to her, hoping they would be sufficient.

"It looks great Sail, thank you!" Sam interjected nodding his head in appreciation.

After the two men took their seats, Selah made her plate, she held on to it with a vice grip to make sure she didn't drop it as she made her way back to the table.

Noah was eyeballing her and her meal, suspicious at the small amount of food on her plate. She would take a small bite here and there, but was mostly moving the food around. Her foot was bouncing off the floor causing her leg to shake occasionally, she would use her free hand and place it on her thigh for a few moments as if to remind herself to stop. It was interesting behavior for her, which was saying something.