The Lake

April 2, 1865

April 2, 1865

    Noah was in an awful mood walking back to the campsite. Talking about the sore subject of his dead wife and remembering that dreadful time gave him a pounding headache. He was anxious to get away from his nosy brother.

   When Noah returned to the campsite he didn't see Selah sitting where he left her tending the food and fire. Of course, that would have been too easy. 

     He checked in the back of the wagon, but it was empty. Noah's heart beat quickened. He circled around the the front and was relieved to see Selah, until he saw her standing in front of one of his horses slowly stroking its long muzzle.

"What the hell are you doing?" Noah shouted. Selah screamed and jumped about a foot in the air clutching her heart.

"Oh my goodness gracious." she replied in a whisper, trying to collect herself.

"Well? Who gave you permission to touch my animals? I don't recall." Noah knew he was over reacting but was unable to take control his anger.

"Next time you disobey me you will be punished. Do you understand?" with every world he stepped close to her, towering over her.

    Selah's jaw dropped open, she was in shock. In the months time she'd been with them he had never been so angry at her. She tried to respond to him and will away her tears, but Samuel came from behind her and placed his arm around her shoulder steering her away from Noah. She let her tears fall.

     Samuel sat Selah down in front of the fire and apologized to her. He told her that he'd upset Noah in the forest and unfortunately for Selah, he took in out on her. Sam passed her a handkerchief to wipe her face, and smiled at her.

"I'm starving Selah, this smells delicious. Thank you for cooking this for us." he was trying to lift her spirits. "Maybe since Noah is in such a bad mood we should make him sleep inside the wagon, what do you think?" Sam asked purposefully loud hoping his brother would hear him. Selah didn't respond, but gave him a small smile. She stood up and pulled the stew from over the fire.

"It think its ready.... Um, where would I find bowls?" Selah questioned softly.

"I'll get 'em. You don't want to run into that tornado again."

    He came back with three bowls, three spoons, and a ladle. Selah quickly served up the stew and placed the pot next to the fire. Sam took one of the bowls and walked around to the front of the wagon.

    When he returned, Samuel ate with Selah. He had mostly superficial conversation with her throughout the meal. Asking about topics like what her favorite books. He was intrigued when he heard she lived in New York; less excited when he found out it was Watertown, New York. He'd never heard of it.

    Samuel was about to ask Selah how she ended up at the brothel. It constantly had him confused. Selah appeared so innocent and polite. She also seemed really well educated. He decided not to dig deep just in case Noah was listening, and began asking about her favorite hobbies.