Chronicle 46

Memories.

     There was a time, for a very short time that my family actually knew happiness. We lived in a small two bedroom cottage. It was cramped, everyone on top of everyone else, but it never truly felt that way. It was home. It really was the only home I have ever known. My mother was amazing back then, my dad actually acted like a father. He cared, and he showed us love. My brother and I often thought of this little house as our fort. We could find the most creative places to play and hide. It was never boring, never sad. One of our favorite things was pulling out the back cushions of the hide away couch and crawling inside. We'd put the cushions back in place and no one would know we were there. There was plenty of space inside for the two of us and we'd camp out in there for hours. We'd have blankets, snacks and our toys. It was like our own form of paradise.

     I actually dream of those days. Sometimes I want to go back there so badly, that it causes a physical hurt inside of me that I do not know what to do with. I miss these memories, these times. My whole life has been about trying to find that peace again, that belonging and love. I'll never understand why it was taken away after only such a short time and why we have never been able to find it since. It really was a cocoon and nothing was able to touch us back then. The world existed, but it was far away from us.

Peace is a balm to the soul.

Happiness revives it.

© 2014, Aelfwynn MacGregor, AMB