Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Shard

The birds chirped quietly, perched on the wiry branches weaving their way through the lush mangroves. Their songs gloomier, paralleling the aura of sadness that had washed over the inhabitants of the wooden house. Cosmo and Galaxia had closed themselves off in the planning room and were left to their grief for a bit. Tails had wondered off by himself that night to think things through. Blaze had decided to go for a walk with him around the grove to help him come to terms with what they had witnessed and what Sonic had said the previous day. The sun began to sink as cool afternoon breezes wafted from the salty ocean down the winding river. Tikal and Knuckles sat side by side, their feet dangling off the deck of the house and their legs were submerged in the murky water from the knees downwards.

"How's the arm?" Tikal asked, breaking the silence. She raised her arm and placed it gently over Knuckles, rubbing it slowly as she beamed him a warming smile. His broken arm was propped up with a make-shift sling. A large, flat leaf was fashioned into the material that his healing limb rested in while a thin piece of vine held it in place, tied in a knot over his shoulder.

"It feels a lot better now thanks to you," Knuckles thanked appreciatively. "Thanks again for helping me get back here in one piece."

"Please, I wasn't going to abandon you out here. Besides… Blaze had her hands full with Tails so I was just trying to be useful," she sighed, her gaze shifting to looking over the still waters.

"Hey," Knuckles placed the thumb of his good arm under her chin and spinning her head to face him, her eyes filled with doubt. "Don't say that. You are useful. We need you, despite what Blaze says, she's just guarded after what happened to Silver. If it wasn't for you, we wouldn't all be here right now."

"Yeah, and if it wasn't for me Sonic wouldn't have gone crazy and Earthia might still be alive," Tikal cursed herself under her breath, slamming her fist into the wood beneath her, small fragments of the sticks splintering off and plunging into the water underneath them.

"Tiks, c'mon don't speak like that. None of this is your fault. You've been nothing but helpful. I know everybody hates you and doesn't trust you but… but I do. I don't know why but when I look into your eyes, the eyes I had fallen in love with I know the truth and I'll keep defending you no matter what," Knuckles spoke from the heart. Tikal stared back, amazed at his kindness as her eyes filled with love of the purest sense.

"You… you called me Tiks again. You haven't called me that since before you broke up with me."

"Well, I think you've earned the right to be called Tiks again," Knuckles soothed warmly. Tikal began to close her eyes, tilting her head as she began to lean in and close the gap between the two. Knuckles hand was still on her chin whilst hers was still placed gently on his broken arm. Knuckles began to close his eyes as well when suddenly the dreary voice of Tails broke the romantic silence.

"Hey guys," he spoke in a depressed tone, almost coming out as a moan than anything else as it seemed painful for him to even get the words out. Knuckles snapped away from Tikal to look at him. His gaze was cast downwards at his feet, his shoulders sagged over. "Galaxia and Cosmo want to talk about what our next move is and they want you two. Blaze is already in there with them. I think they've decided to put their grieving aside until after the war," he sighed as he turned and dragged his feet back into the house, not once looking up or letting any enthusiasm into his voice.

"Well… we should get going," Knuckles coughed awkwardly as he stood up, wincing slightly in pain as his arm knocked against his side.

"Yeah… I guess so," Tikal sighed, missing her opportunity as she obediently fell into step behind Knuckles as they entered the house. The two make a sharp left and enter the small room with the large, central circular table where they first met the Zuncon trio. However, this time, only Galaxia and Cosmo stood at the opposing end, a sour frown plastered across both of their faces despite clearly being in the middle of an argument. Blaze looked defeated and exhausted, trying to stop the fighting as she always does.