Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Aftermath

Time seemed to slow to a stop for the golden furred fox and the red echidna as they stood helplessly by the shore line, clutching the net between their hands, breath caught in their lungs.

All that could be heard over the deafening winds that howled loudly across the shore from the ocean where the fearful screams of Sonic, trapped inside the collapsing tree house that was breaking apart, and Blaze, standing underneath the falling house.

Blaze, a split second to react, quickly lunged forward, flying off her feet as she slid across the sand with a thud, barely managing to roll out of the way as planks of wood skewered into the sand all around her. She quickly moved her legs outward, narrowly avoiding one of the floorboards spearing into the sand just inches away from her pelvis.

The cat screamed, closing her eyes and placing her arms over her head to shield her face from the wooden planks that rained down from the sky like arrows. To add insult to injury, another branch from the tree bent in the breeze before snapping off with a loud break, plummeting swiftly to the ground.

"Blaze!" Knuckles yelled, breaking from the trance he was in as he rushed over to the cat but was too late to stop the branch. Luckily, the thicker part smashed to pieces' inches away from her head but small twigs and splinters peppered her body, scratching her delicate skin and drawing blood all over.

"Are you okay?" Knuckles asked, sweat on his brow as he bent down, scooping up her head in his hands as he looked upon her, studying her figure to make sure she wasn't cut too badly at any place.

"I'm fine…" Blaze breathed, still recovering from her shock. "Where is… Sonic?" she asked, pointing towards the mess of the former treehouse on the sand.

"Sonic…" Tails shouted in a panicked voice before shaking himself out of his own chance and took off, sprinting towards the pile, ready to feverishly dig out the individual planks until he rescued his beloved. However, in his haste, Tails continued to hold onto the net. The rope extended to its limit where Tails was less than a meter away from the destroyed house when he was pulled backwards by the rope, falling on his bottom.

The force of his running dislodged the thick, wooden post from its spot in the sand.

"Tails!" Blaze and Knuckles both screamed in unison as the saw a huge wave smash down onto the sand, washing away more of the sand that held the post in place. This was coupled by another powerful gust of wind that, thanks to the post's weakened state, broke loose of its sandy prison and flew through the air, smashing into the back of Tails' head.

All Tails could hear was the worried and frantic calls of his friends before he blacked out, falling backwards onto the soft sand below.

The wind began to pick up, whipping through the ebony hedgehog's quills as he left his house, geared up to return back to the battle field and his commander that was holding the front lines, Mighty.

He looked out towards the ocean, searching for something but was interrupted by a high pitched, angry voice scolding him from behind. Shadow spun around and sighed in annoyance as he came face to face with none other than Amy Rose.

"What do you want Amy?" He groaned.

"You're about to go back to the lines, aren't you?" She queried. Shadow nodded, his facial expression remaining unchanged.

"So?"

"So! So you didn't come up to see me at all since you got back. Am I just not good enough anymore?" She screeched at him.