Alive ➸ "You made me feel alive."

"I love you and I want you to stay with me," the lady tried to give hope to the man who lay on the bed in front of her. "Stay, okay?"

But what lies in the hands of fate is unreachable by us mortals.

With the man's breathing becoming erratic, she knew what was coming.

They had been together for seventy six years now, after the meeting on the roof. And after she left that morning, destiny brought them together, again.

So the second time, both of them held onto each other. All pacts and promises were forgotten for they only cared about the presence of the other. They grew, so did their relationship and transformed, gradually, into love.

He gave her strength and support to open to her parents and get help for her depression. And she did.

Everything pieced back to the right place.

But death approaches us, in one way or the other. Whether in deliberation or with old age.

"You know something?" She tried to keep her love engaged with her words. "I'm glad to have you in my life."

With beeping machines and heavy breaths, she realised his end was closer than she anticipated.

The nurses ran into the room, with the doctors following. The next few moments went by as a blur. But what met her eyes after the frenzy was over, pained her.

He lay on the bed, cold and paler than she'd ever seen him. He had stopped moving now. And breathing. And the green graph line of his heart rate on the ECG machine, ran straight.

She stepped closer as the doctor looked at her, with sad eyes and filled her ears with an apology.

"I never told you this. But you were my seventh reason." She spoke to her late husband. "I ran away but I'm so thankful we met again. You're the only thing in my life, I ever truly loved and you loved me back, equally. And it's all past now. It's over. But just so you know," she smiled a sad smile reminiscing the days one last time. "You made me feel alive."

~