thirty-two | his backstory

texasboi: do you know about that Lucas? you know, the one Zay mentioned back when I introduced myself? the one in Austin, the one who bullied people in school, and had a terrible reputation?

texasboi: that guy was me. I had a bad family background, my dad left us when we were young, and my mum had to single-handedly bring my brother, who is 2 years older than me, and I up. like your family, isn't it?

texasboi: anyway, my brother, Josh, has serious anger issues. because of my dad leaving, he felt like it was fine to be just like him, so he's a playboy. and then... right now, you're probably thinking... josh??

texasboi: yes, it's the same Josh you were dating. when he turned 16, he went to study abroad, so he went over to New York. and recently met you, huh? what a small world. the only reason I got so protective and seemed jealous was because it was the same Josh. he's been with me since I was a baby, and I know what he's like. he dates a new hot girl, he starts cheating on her, he dumps her, he dates another girl. it's a cycle, actually.

texasboi: I didn't want you getting hurt, but I thought maybe this was an exception to him because you were the best girl I've ever met in my entire life. and I thought maybe he actually really liked you since you dated for 6 months.

texasboi: but I guess I should've expected it when he was such an asshole towards you. and I'm so sorry about that, Maya. you didn't deserve it. back to the main point, Josh never showed this side of him to our one and only mother, but pretended to be all goody-goody and stuff. she was especially biased towards him, and obviously loved him more.

texasboi: I couldn't take it anymore, and then I exploded. I became bad, I became Austin Lucas. I bullied, teased people, got into fights. I was a rebellious kid, often bullying the teachers and even kicking and punching them. but one thing I never did was be a playboy. as much of a bad kid I was, I never played with people's feelings.

texasboi: because of all these things, I got expelled. then when my mum found out, she was extremely upset. and then I realized that she loved us both equally. she showered me with love and care, teaching me the right ways so I wouldn't repeat my mistake.

texasboi: and then I changed. I changed into a better person, and wanted to keep this a secret from as many people as possible. Zay found out though, and he encouraged me to tell you. I know you may find this hard to accept, but I wouldn't mind if you decide not to be friends with me after seeing me being so scary. I actually expect that. I wouldn't want to be friends with myself. so I completely understand.

texasboi: this was my story, Maya. and the whole reason why I couldn't meet you. whether or not you accept me, know that I love you, and would never avoid you on purpose.

MAYA CONT.
at Rosewood Park, in New York.

So that was the reason why. I'd misunderstood him.

As tears fell onto my iPhone screen, I hovered my finger over the 'unblock' button for a while, before pressing down.

irishpancakes has unblocked texasboi.

I breathed in deeply, trying to take in whatever I've just read. And then I typed.

irishpancakes: Lucas, whoever you were, and whatever you did back then has nothing to do with my feelings for you. they'll never change until the day I die. I know you've dealt with a past which had lots of difficulties, and I'm actually surprised at the Josh part. I'm glad I'm over him, though.

irishpancakes: I love you, Lucas, and this fact will never, ever change. don't even think for a second that whatever you just told me would change how I feel for you. I know I've only just broken up with a boy, but I already realized who was really there for me, and who I really liked.

irishpancakes: I'm sorry for misunderstanding you. though we won't be able to meet, I'll still continue to text you everyday, of course. we'll be able to have a long-distance relationship!!!!

texasboi: omg Maya. I love you too. thank you... for everything. I love you I love you I love you.

texasboi: AND YES. we gotta skype too, okay???

texasboi: wait. relationship? as in...?

irishpancakes: Lucas Friar, will you be my boyfriend?

irishpancakes: P.S. I'm also rebellious, I can't believe I'm the one asking the boy out

texasboi: YES OMGOMGOMG YES. WE WILL SKYPE AND TEXT EVERYDAY AND OUR RELATIONSHIP IS GONNA BE GOALS OF THE CENTURY AND WE R GONNA BREAK THE DISTANCE ONE DAY I LOVE YOU SHORTSTACK

irishpancakes: OKAY I love you and everything a lot but WHAT THE HECK DID U JUST CALL ME SHORTSTACK

irishpancakes: you are such a huckleberry

texasboi: ...

irishpancakes: LOL btw should we tell them

texasboi: well they're sure to ask about what exactly happened... so we'll see, huh?

irishpancakes: okay huckleberry 💘

texasboi: okay shortstack ❤️