I Love Saturdays

I slowly make my way downstairs and into the kitchen to make myself breakfast and my much-needed cup of coffee. I make it about halfway through my breakfast sandwich before I looked around and realized that it was unusually quiet for a house full of early risers (which I'm obviously not). I shrug my shoulders, they probably have plans since it is Saturday and turn back to my breakfast which I all but finished when I see my dad enter the kitchen.

"I see you're finally up, you might wanna get dressed people are gonna start arriving soon," he says glancing back at me from his place in front of the fridge. I look up from my plate and silently watch his back as he grabs a bottle of water. He turns towards me as I stand with my plate and cup to take it to the sink.

"Mani, you can't keep ignoring me," Yes I can

"You didn't even tell me why" Because you should know

I put my dishes in the sink and walk out the kitchen without a glance behind me. I throw myself on my bed and grab my phone to call my mom.

"Hey mom"

"Hey Mani, you just woke up?'

"No, I've been up for a little while, where are you and Aiden?"

"At his soccer game"

"What? Why didn't you wake me up"

"He didn't want me to, he didn't even want to come to the game himself"

"Why?"

"I'm not sure but hurry up and get dressed your dad says the party should be starting soon"

"Nah, I'll just stay upstairs until you guys come home"

"Normani, you have to speak to your father eventually"

"No I don't, if he doesn't care then I don't either"

"He does care, just tell him you're upset he forgot about your dinner and he'll understand"

"Bye mom, see you when you get home" I say quickly and hang up before she could say anything else about the situation. I really don't want to talk to my dad about the dinner it's obvious he doesn't care so why should I? I roll onto my back and decide to text Ally since I was in such a foul mood.

Manibear😍💕🐻: Im bored give me attention😐

Allycat😻💖😽: Tell me again why I put up with you🤔

Manibear😍💕🐻: Because you love me and cant live without me☺️😘

Allycat😻💖😽: Eh

Manibear😍💕🐻: All I ever do is love you and all I get is this hate😪

Allycat😻💖😽: ...

I hear a knock on my door and turn my head to the noise as the door opens to reveal my dad poking his head through the threshold.

"I just wanted to let you know that people started coming over. They'll be in the backyard mostly so you won't have to worry"

I nod my head to acknowledge that I understood and he continued to stand there as if he was waiting for something more. We watch each other for a few more seconds before he gives me a pained smile and pulls the door closed. I hate how frustrated and sad he looks when I ignore him but this has happened before and I refuse to let it happen again.

I feel my phone vibrate and see I have two new messages from two different numbers, one from Ally and the other from Dinah. Since we exchanged numbers on Thursday we've texted each other a few times, I guess you could say we're acquaintances. I open the text from Dinah since we don't text each other often and I was curious to know what it was she wanted.