3

"Queenie, have you seen my black round skirt?"

Tina shouted this softly from across their shared apartment. It was finally the day she'd been waiting for, the day Newt had told her in his letters.

The day Newt came back to New York.

For some reason, particularly today, she wanted to put on her best outfit. Anytime Newt crossed her mind, she just felt like she needed to look her best. So, she decided to ditch the business look today, and go for something a little different. She had gotten home from work at a decent time, and now she was trying to find something better to change into.

"Which one?" Queenie asked back from her place in the living room. She was supervising as her magic sewed up a rip she had in one of her dresses, making sure the thread didn't catch.

"The black one with felt dots on it," Tina told her, coming into the room. "I've been looking, and I can't find it anywhere."

"It's right there," Queenie said, pointing to the fireplace. "It's drying. Did you already forget you washed it yesterday?"

"Oh, right..." Tina said, trailing off. "I guess I did forget. This morning has been hectic."

Queenie finally looked up from her dress and at her slightly-distressed sister. "Oh, right. You're trying to impress him."

Tina looked shocked. "Impress whom?"

"Newt," Queenie told her simply. "That's why you're putting on your favorite outfit and stressing about this so much. You're trying to make everything perfect for him."

"I'm not trying to impress Mister Scamander," Tina shook her head. "I'm just trying to make it look like our house isn't always a mess."

They made eye contact. "You're going to wear the dress blouse too?" Queenie asked with a smile. "That's the same blouse you wore when you first were trying to address the Aurors. When you were trying to impress them."

"Get out of my head!" Tina told her, but Queenie just smiled. It was amusing to see her sister getting so worked up over him, endearing really. Tina always was the one watching when Queenie would gush over Jacob, but now she's the one gushing over Newt. It was entertaining to be on the other side of the spectrum.

"You don't need to try so hard to impress him, you know," Queenie told her. "A girl like you, he probably already thinks the world of you."

"I'm not trying to impress him!" Tina shouted again, grabbing her skirt away from the fire. "I'm just going to go change real quick. If anyone-"

"And by anyone, you mean Newt, of course."

"If anyone comes to the door, invite them in. Do you mind putting something on, Queenie?"

"Oh, sure," Queenie said, finishing the supervision of her dress. You couldn't even tell she had ripped it before, and she quickly slid on the dress. Right as Queenie was taking the dry laundry away from the fire, she heard a knock at the door. "I'll get it!" Queenie shouted, setting the laundry down in a neat pile and going to the door. She looked through the peephole, seeing more than she expected.

She knew Newt was coming, but there was another girl standing next to him, looking confused as ever as she looked around. Queenie tilted her head slightly, opening the door and smiling at the pair of them. "Newt," she began, moving aside and letting him in. "It's nice to see you again. Who's this?"

Completely ignoring her question and oblivious to the obviously confused girl standing next to him, he asked, "Can I speak to you for a moment?" he asked, a serious tone in his voice.