11

Another day, another journey through New York. After yesterday, ______ was finally ready to let Newt help her in her search for memories. However, although today had started with the purpose to search for lost memories, Newt and ______ had become distracted.

Admittingly, last time Newt was in New York, he didn't really get much time to explore. However, now that their sole purpose was to walk around and find things, that's all they were doing. The moment ______ found out that Newt knew little to nothing about New York, she insisted on showing him around. Right now, she was leading him through crowded streets to Battery Park. "I can't believe you've never taken the time to actually explore New York," she shook her head at him as they walked.

"I've always just stuck to whatever business I had in New York and left it at that," he told her with a shrug.

"What exactly is your business in New York?" ______ asked, looking over at him.

Newt paused for a moment. Obviously, he couldn't tell her the original reason he came to America, as that was strictly magical business. However, he did have another reason that wasn't a lie he could easily tell her. "I'm an author," he told her. "I came her to give my book to a few friends, and maybe to advertise it."

"You're an author?" she asked, her interest captivated completely. "What kind of books do you write?"

"Erm, I write about zoology and the study of animals. Wild animals, common animals, household animals, anything I can find I write about and put in my book."

"Sort of like a travel journal?"

Newt laughed a little. "Yes, sort of like that. I've been all over the world, and I'm proud of what my book became."

______ turned to him. "I hope I can read it one day, and you'll have to sign it. You owe me after everything you put me through," she joked.

"I can't argue with that," he told her, then looked around. "So, um, what exactly is so special about Battery Park?"

______ suddenly stopped in her tracks, and Newt suspected for a moment that he was about to get another small speech about the location's importance in the history of New York. However, when he stopped and looked back, he saw that her face had gone blank, like he was trying to remember something. "I... I can't remember," she admitted slowly. "I just remember thinking immediately that you had to see Battery Park. It felt really important that we came here, and now I can't remember why..."

As she trailed off, she shook her head and looked forward. "I can see the harbor from here!" Happy to find a new topic, without thinking, she took Newt's hand and rushed towards the edge, Newt in tow. He had been so taken aback from her sudden contact he turned bright pink, but didn't let go of her hand as he rushed forwards with her, both of them stopping and taking a breath once they got to the fence that stopped them from running straight into the water. She let go of his hand and pointed ahead. "See, from here you can see the Statue of Liberty, the harbor and the ferry."

Instead of looking at the view that ______ was so entranced by, he looked over at her. It looked like a sudden rush of happiness had just hit her, her smile was ridiculously wide as she looked out into the water. Her eyes shined in the sun, and her face looked like it was glowing with joy. He hadn't ever seen her this happy, and he was taken aback by how stunning she was with a smile on her face. As soon as ______ turned her head to look at him, Newt whipped his head towards the water and mumbled, "You're right. The view is amazing."

______ looked over at Newt's wrist to read the time. "It's nearly 1 o'clock," she pointed out to him. "Do you want to find somewhere to have lunch?"

Newt nodded, not looking back at her yet. His face still felt hot, and he didn't want her to catch him with a bright pink face. "Do you know anywhere nearby?"

______ turned around and looked towards the buildings. "Well, I'm sure there's something close. Tourist spots like these always have restaurants nearby." Then, a strange sense of familiarity hit her. She had been here before, in this area. She knew that there was something nearby, like a tea shop. She turned to Newt, hoping to get his attention this time. "I have an idea."

Newt tore himself away from his thoughts and turned to follow her through the streets again, and she seemed to be in her element and lost at the same time. After a few wrong turns and a few stops so she could think about where they were, they made it to a small building that had plants hanging in the window and a building that made it look like a cottage: Soul Tea and Soup. "I think this is the place," ______ said aloud.

"You think?" Newt asked.

Ignoring his question, ______ and Newt walked in and got in the line. There was a fair amount of people in the small place at lunch-hour hit, and Newt looked at what they were offering: a variety of tea, soup and sandwiches. The shop itself was rather cute, plants decorating the place and wooden tables painted with flowers on them.

As they got to the front of the line, the cashier gave ______ a huge smile and said something that took her aback. "______, it's good to see you again! Will it be the usual?"

______ stopped for a moment. "You know my name?" she asked, shocked.

Right as both ______ and the cashier began to stare at each other in confusion, Newt felt compelled to interject, addressing the cashier, "______ took a pretty bad blow to the head the other day and lost a bit of her memory, and you're the only person so far who's recognized her."

The cashier suddenly had a sympathetic look on her face. "I'm so sorry to hear that," she turned and looked at ______. "Is that your boyfriend? You always came in here and got two meals to go, one was more you and you always said the other one was for a Mr. Draculous. We always assumed that he was your boyfriend."

______ stopped, trying to remember something, anything about this place, but she also felt a warning in her own mind. Something told her to not do it here, not now. Not in front of everyone here, so instead she just shrugged. "I can't tell you, I don't remember," she said quietly. "This isn't him."

Newt could tell something was wrong and took over the conversation. He was never fantastic at taking over situations until it meant that it would help someone else, that always gave him courage. "Can we get whatever she usually eats, but for me, I would like a lavender tea and lettuce wrap."

"Of course," the cashier was more than happy to get off the dreary topic, hoping that she didn't upset ______ too much. "For here or to go?"

Newt looked over at ______, whose face had gone blank and she looked like her mind was in a completely different place. The way she had looked when Newt asked why they had gone to Battery Park. "To go, please," Newt told her. He wanted to get ______ home as soon as possible, she looked completely out of place and as if she was on the verge of having a breakdown.

As they stood and waited for their food to be prepared, Newt went up to ______ and gently took her by the shoulders. "______, are you alright?" he asked, though he had a feeling he knew the answer. She looked like she had just remembered something, and he so desperately wished that she would tell him the things that she remembered, but he didn't want to push her. She would tell him when she was ready.

______ shook her head. "I want to go home," she told him, looking over at him. "Where is home? Who am I?"

Newt wished he had the answers, but he didn't, and it was killing her. He saw a to-go bag placed on the counter, checked that it was theirs, and took her hand like she had taken his earlier. He worried that maybe he was being too forward right now, but he didn't care. He needed to comfort her, and they needed to her out of there. "Let's get out of here," he told her. "I'm sure we'll find some answers soon."

He really hoped they would, it was killing him to see her like this. He just wanted to hold her and tell her it was going to be alright. He wanted to see her happy again, and he made a promise to himself: he will see her happy again.

--

If you guys want even more Newt content, I wrote a 7,000 word Newt one-shot on my story