18

When Sunday came, ______ had still not waken up. Newt was keeping her in the bed in his case and locked the door to the beasts just in case she woke up. She shouldn't move around too much if she did, and she definitely shouldn't try to approach any more beasts without Newt around. He was keeping her in there for her safety and the safety of his beasts.

Newt almost never left her side. Queenie would bring him meals and offer to watch ______ for Newt when he needed sleep. He insisted on staying by her side until she woke up so he could explain everything to her and be completely honest. He needed to tell her the truth, she deserved to hear it, and it killed him to know that they hid everything from her for so long.

Sunday night, instead of Queenie bringing down a dinner, Tina was the one who came down with a plate of food. She took a seat next to Newt, who had been reading a book next to ______. He looked up and saw Tina, putting the book aside. "Thank you very much," he told her as she set the plate next to him.

She remained down and tried to maintain eye contact with him. "Newt, there's something important that we have to discuss," Tina broke the sudden silence. "It's about ______, and about the situation that's going on here."

Newt put his book aside and took towards ______. "What is it?" Newt asked nervously. "She already can't remember much, if we obliviate her, she may lose everything. I've told you before that we can't do that to her."

Tina, much to Newt's surprise, agreed with him on that sentiment. "I know that, which is exactly why we need to talk. I go back to work tomorrow, and I have a suspicion that Roy knows something about the case I'm dealing with at work. That means I need to find him, but if I go looking for him, it could put ______ in danger. They're not going to stop looking for her, Newt. Whoever is after her will keep coming back."

Newt was silent. "Where do we go from here then, Tina? I don't know what to do anymore. I don't know what I can do to protect her."

Tina took a deep breath. What she was going to propose was something that she hoped Newt would be willing to do, and she hoped that in the end, ______ would be okay with it. She didn't see another way. "We have to relocate her, Newt. We can't do it through MACUSA because they're going to want to obliviate her, so we need to find a way to relocate her."

Newt shook his head and looked back at ______. "It's not right to just relocate her without explaining things," Newt stated. "We can't just relocate her with no memory and no explanation and expect her to get by on her own."

Tina nodded. "I knew that you were going to feel something like that, Newt. That's why I want to propose an idea to you."

That grabbed Newt's attention, and he turned back towards Tina. "What is it?"

"Can you take her with you to Britain?" Tina started. "Hear me out, once I find whoever is doing this, I will punish them through MACUSA, and New York will be a safe place for her to come back to. Until then, however, it's not a good place for her to stay. If you take her to Britain, just for a while, maybe we can make New York a safe place again. I need to solve this case, she needs to be watched over, and MACUSA can't know. This is the best solution I can think of."

Newt paused for a moment, thinking about it. In Britain, he could tell her about magic freely. There weren't any strict laws that were going to stop him from telling her and letting her remember magic, and here, that was different. If he took her back to Britain and she woke up, that would be the perfect time to tell her the truth. The one con he could think of is making ______ feel like he was kidnapping her and taking her there against her will – something he feared would happen. However, something told him that she was going to understand.

He made up his mind.

"Okay," he told Tina, nodding. "I would like to wait just a little bit though, maybe wait for her to wake up, just so I can tell her what's happening."

Tina shook her head. "I'm sorry Newt, we don't have time, I go back to work tomorrow. I went to the docks today, there's a boat that leaves for Britain tomorrow night, and I need you to get on it."

Newt just nodded solemnly. This had to happen, no matter what. She had to be safe, but Newt was just upset that things had to end like this. Tina waited for him to say something more, but he didn't. Tina sighed and headed back up the ladder and back into the apartment.

As soon as Tina got to the top and closed the case, she just sat on the floor in silence. She told herself that she wasn't going to cry, she didn't want to spend too much energy on being heartbroken when she had a mystery she was set on solving. She thought after all this time and seeing Newt be so involved in taking care of ______, it would be easier to accept that he didn't love her, but she loved him. It wasn't making it any easier, but she needed to let go. She couldn't hang onto him forever; he wasn't hers to hang onto.

Queenie walked into the room; hearing Tina let out a stifled sob. She walked in to see her sister on the floor, her arms wrapped around her legs and Newt's case. Queenie took a seat next to her, she didn't need to ask what was wrong. She put an arm over her shoulder. "It's okay, Tina," Queenie told her, rubbing her back. "You'll move on, I promise. Things will get better."

Tina looked over at her sister and smiled. "Thank you, Queenie."

Queenie stood up and reached her hand out to Tina. "I'll make you a warm drink, okay? Let's get something."

Tina took Queenie's hand and followed her out of the room.