21

Her mystery was finally solved: they knew exactly why there were multiple wizards in pursuit of her. The second that they both came out of Newt's case and explained everything to Queenie and Tina, Tina started developing a theory about how _______ and her case at MACUSA were connected. She didn't know how to connect everything yet, but the second _______ and Newt were safely out of the country, she was going to find Roy with MACUSA and get answers.

For now, they had to focus on leaving New York in one piece.

It wasn't going to be easy. They knew they were all being watched, so it wasn't going to be as simple as sneaking over. Not to mention, after the other night, they had to suspect that Newt was trying to leave the country, possibly with _______. Newt and Tina weren't sure what to do, but ______ had an idea.

"What if you paid someone to take Newt's suitcase to the docks and get it onto the luggage cart?" she asked, catching their attention. "From all appearances, it's just a normal case. The only suspicious thing about it is whoever is carrying it. I'm sure we can find someone looking for a quick dollar."

Tina nodded. "That's an excellent point, and I think I know where to find a room full of people looking to make money," she said, a ghost of a smile on her lips. "If we apparated into The Blind Pig and paid someone to take the case to the baggage cart, they won't even know we ever left the house. Surely they don't have the resources to do a thorough search of every case that comes into the docks."

"So, what, ______ and I just hide under the main deck of the boat as stowaways in my case?" Newt asked.

______ asked a question that had been on her mind for a while. "If you can apparate, Newt, why don't we just apparate to Britain?"

"Long distance apparition can be extremely dangerous and risky, we could use a portkey, but I don't know of any portkeys in America that lead to Britain. That's why I always prefer to take a boat over here," Newt explained patiently.

"I guess that makes sense," ______ turned back to the situation at hand. "I don't think we'll have to stay stowaways the entire trip. We can probably apparate back and forth, from the suitcase to the main deck, to get fresh air and enjoy the trip!"

"Have you apparated much before?" Tina asked her. "If you're not used to it, you can tend to get sick. Not a lot of wizards even prefer to apparate, too many find it headache-inducing."

"Draculous used to make me apparate," ______ admitted, her eyes drifting towards the floor. "It's part of the reason it was so hard to get away from him. I'd never be able to run fast enough or go far enough, he'd catch me, or he'd find me. He'd be in front of me in seconds and take me back to his house even faster. It's a miracle I've been able to hide from him for this long..." she trailed off, thinking back to previous experiences. Apparating did used to make her sick, but when you tried to get away as much as she did, she was used to being forced to apparate with him.

Tina and Newt both were at a loss for what to say, and Tina regretted saying anything in the first place. Eventually, Newt reached out, putting a hand on her shoulder. "You're safe with us, ______, you're safe with me. You're going to get away from him, and soon enough, all of this will feel like a distant memory."

______ ran a hand over her left arm, tracing the scar pattern. "Will it?"

"It will," Newt assured her. He pulled out a watch and checked the time: the night boat to Britain was set to depart in three hours, they were bound to be loading it by now. He turned back to Tina. "If we get in the case now, we still have time for you to go to The Blind Pig and find someone willing to take it to the docks and put it on the baggage cart."

"Got it," Tina nodded. "You have a feature on your case that makes the contents seem normal, right?"

"Yes, my 'Muggle Worthy' leaver," Newt told her. He turned back to ______. "Mind staying the night in my case tonight?"

"It worked out when I was unconscious," she tried joking to lighten the mood. Then her memory of the room inside the case came back to her. "There's just one bed in there, though..."

Newt was at a loss for words, and both Tina and ______ watched while his face tinted pink. Tina knew how much she was beginning to mean to Newt, and this would be the perfect set-up for the two of them to have a much-needed conversation about their feelings for each other. Newt just needed to establish it, which didn't look like it was going to happen, so Tina stepped in. "The two of you can share it, right?" Tina asked ______ with a smile. "It would be easier than trying to find an empty cabin, and I don't think there's room anywhere else."

Now ______ was the one who started to blush. "It's fine with me if Newt doesn't mind," she looked away, trying and failing to hide the hue-change on her face.

"I... don't mind, as long as you're comfortable," Newt finally managed to say. Neither of them was maintaining eye-contact with one another while Tina just looked back and forth between the two of them.

"Then it's settled," Tina spoke before either of them had the courage to. "The two of you can get in the case, I'll handle everything else. If you guys head to sleep, then you'll wake up on a ship."

"Thank you, Tina. For everything," _______ went up to her, smiling. "For letting me into your home, for defending me against wizards, and for helping me get away. There's no way I would still be here if it weren't for you. I hope you know how amazing you are."

Tina smiled back at her. "It's no problem, really. I hope you like it in Britain."

______ glanced over at Newt for s split second, but Tina noticed it. "I have a really good feeling that I'm going to love it there."

After Newt said his goodbye to Tina, the two of them lowered themselves into Newt's case and settled. Newt looked around: suddenly, the bed looked smaller than he remembered. He knew it didn't change in size, but he hadn't stopped to think before how small it really was. The two of them were bound to be pressed against each other.

He was going to tell her. This was going to give him the perfect opportunity, and he knew it. He was just scared, he didn't expect this moment to come so soon. ______ looked over at him. "Do you happen to keep any clothes down here, like pajamas I could borrow?"

"Oh, yes," he snapped out of his thoughts, opening a cabinet. He grabbed a pair he never wore, and it looked like they were going to fit ______. He handed them to her, thinking that he needed a moment to himself before he was ready to tell her anything. "Before we... get ready for bed, I'm going to go feed my beasts. I'll be back in less than an hour, I can change while I'm doing it."

"Oh, alright," ______ replied, sitting on the bed. "I'm not too tired, so I'll still be here. I'll probably go ahead and read something in here."

"I'll be back," Newt assured her one more time, leaving the room. As soon as he shut the door, he took a deep breath. He was lucky he really did need to feed his beasts; it gave him time to think about how he wanted to say everything.

Tonight was going to be the night.