6

Despite her best attempts, ______ wasn't able to get very much sleep that night. So many things were running through her head, and she still had dull pain throughout her body. It wasn't as bad as it had been, but she could still feel it. She was sure she fell asleep at one point in the night, but it didn't last very long.

She had no idea what time it was, but it felt like early morning. Darkness filled the room, she didn't want to turn on any lights just yet. She didn't want to wake Newt up. She thought the man was strange, but he was nice. He was attractive, too. He offered his help, but she didn't really want it. She needed to find answers on her own, or at least that's what she told herself.

The only thing she could remember at the moment was her name. Newt had told her she was trying to steal his case, but she just can't remember. Everything was one blur. Her memories were vague, and she could feel that there was more there, that there were things to remember, but she just couldn't reach them. The more she tried to remember, the more frustrating it got.

Why couldn't she just remember already? What was wrong with her? How long was she going to be like this?

She just wanted to remember something. Anything, even if it was just her last name, that would be something. But nothing came to mind. Everything was blocked out, and it was hell.

Tina had told her one night, and they all had hoped she'd remember something by morning, but nothing came. She still had nothing to go off of. Nothing but that one thought, one thought she had no idea what it meant.

Please don't be angry with me.

Suddenly, a light switched on from the other side of the bedroom door, light creeping underneath the door crack. Who else is awake at this hour? ______ thought to herself, squinting at the light. Her eyes look a moment to adjust, and she paused for a moment. Curious as to who else would be awake as early as she was, she stood up, carefully heading towards the door and opening it as quietly as possible, shutting it behind her.

The light followed into the living room, where she saw the blonde sister leaning over the fireplace, tending to a small fire. Queenie, wasn't it? She thought, and as if the other woman could sense her presence, she turned around and smiled at her. "Good morning, ______."

"Good morning," ______ replied, her eyes wandering around the room. She looked out the window, seeing the sun barely coming over the buildings, the sky slightly lit. "What time is it?"

"About 6 o'clock," Queenie told her, standing up, satisfied with the small fire she'd created. "What has you up so early?"

"I couldn't sleep," ______ told her. "My head was hurting all night. I don't think I got to sleep for that long. Why are you up so early?"

"I always wake up early," Queenie told her. "I get the fire started and make coffee. I make breakfast sometimes too, it depends on the day. It gets awfully cold at night here, so I start the fire as soon as I wake up to warm the house."

______ nodded, looking towards the kitchen. "I can help you make coffee," she told her. "I know how to do that much. I don't want to be a burden."

"Oh, sure," Queenie told her. "We can get started on breakfast together too. It'll be better with the two of us. I'm sure Teenie will be up any time now to get ready for work."

______ followed Queenie into the kitchen, Queenie getting out all sorts of things to make for breakfast. "Where do you two work that has you going in so early?"

Queenie paused for a moment. They couldn't let ______ in on magic, so she could tell her where they really worked. It took her a moment to think of something that at least might be a half-truth. "Nowhere glamourous, we work in an office. They have us going in early, but we have to. There's usually a lot to do around there," she lied. "Where do you work?"

As soon as the words left her lips, it came back to her. ______ didn't remember anything about herself. ______ went silent, as if she was trying to remember. Queenie could probe into her mind, and impulsively, she did. It was easier than it was last night, she had more on her mind. That didn't mean it was all good.

Queenie couldn't read into her past any more than ______ could remember it. She could, however, read what was on her mind. Right now, she was frustrated, which was understandable. Queenie couldn't imagine what it would be like if all her memories were gone like that. Reading deeper though, she could read the one line of thought ______ had remembered: Please don't be angry with me.

It was clearer than anything else on her mind, and it wasn't connected to any other memories. It seemed even ______ didn't know what it meant. Queenie thought about it... it sounded so defenseless. As if she was pleading with whoever it was about.

______ spoke, snapping Queenie out of her thoughts. "I don't know," she replied with a shrug, trying to make it look like it didn't bother her. "Probably a factory, lots of people are working in those these days. I'm sure my foreman will have my head as soon as I remember everything."

"Hopefully that's soon," Queenie told her, beginning to boil some water for the coffee. "Say, honey," she began, trying to think how to phrase her question. She thought if maybe she helped ______ connect what she already remembers to something, she could help her remember more. "Do you think he got angry with you all the time? Your foreman, I mean."

Thoughts flashed across ______'s mind, but none of them were connected to Queenie's question. She was trying to dig, and the word angry only made her remember that one line of thought. Maybe it was connected to her job, but she had this strong feeling it wasn't. This was connected to something more intimate. She didn't have any proof of this, but she could feel it. She just shrugged. "Maybe," she told Queenie. "Foreman's get angry all the time when you aren't doing your work fast enough."

There wasn't anything else to carry on the conversation with. Queenie knew what ______ was thinking about the line of thought, and if she was right, that was horrible. Why would you have to beg with someone who was close with you to not get angry with you? Sure, it could've been a one-time thing, but the thought was so strong. If it was a one-time thing, a rare occurrence... why would it be the first thing ______ remembered?

Soon enough, ______ finished up breakfast, and right as they were setting the table, Newt came out into the kitchen looking wiped out, and Tina was in a business outfit. She looked over at the two girls who had prepared the breakfast. "I see you helped Queenie make breakfast," she said, looking at ______. "Thank you."

"It's no problem," she told her, smiling. "Thank you for letting me stay here tonight. I promise I'll be out of your hair by the time you come home. You won't even know I was here."

This statement took the three of them by surprise. They had forgotten, with the strange letter and Tina's agreement to let Newt have a week, that they had told ______ she could only stay for that night. "You... remember where you live then?" Tina asked.

"Well... not exactly... but it can't be that hard. I'll find out somehow."

"You can stay with us until you remember. It would probably be safer that way," Tina was trying to convince her. "I mean, this is New York. It's not as kind out there as it could be."

"I'll manage. Thank you for everything."

"I'll still help you look, ______." Newt spoke up, looking at her. "It'll be better if there's two of us."

"I can do fine on my own, Mister Scamander," her voice was still. Not harsh, but detached. That moment they had the other night, when she finally used his name, was gone. It was all formalities now.

After eating in silence for a while, Tina looked over at the clock. "Oh, we should get going," she told Queenie. "I don't want to be late."

The two of them stood up quickly, heading to the door. Before Queenie walked out she paused and turned around, facing ______.

"I hope you remember something, ______, and I hope you'll consider our offer. It's safer here than on the streets, and we only mean the best."

Giving her a smile and no time to reply, Queenie walked out the door, leaving Newt and ______ alone.