Chapter 50: Cured

Start from the beginning

He lowers his gaze. "Welcome..."

She takes a cleansing breath and relaxes, her smile losing some of its width but her face remaining ultimately joyful. "And, well, we can go home now."

"We?"

"Of course, we," she repeats. "Karai wanted you to come home when I talked to her last. I bet she misses you."

Diaval shakes his head. "Can't. Gonna get punished."

Her grin crumbles. "Punished? By..." Her face dawns with realization. "Has Shredder punished you before?" He nods. She looks at her lap as she sinks into the mattress slightly. "Oh..."

His head tilts. "Could go, tell her goodbye, then come back here," he suggests. "If you want."

Destiny meets his eyes. "You'd come with me?"

"Want to make sure you're safe, then...I'll leave," he says. "Won't stay too long though."

He's stunned by the sadness that permeates her expression next. She looks away, her lip trembling for a second before she pins it between her teeth.

"Okay," she whispers. "If that's what's best." She lets out a weak laugh. "I'd miss you."

He glances out the window towards the sky, where it's just starting to brighten with the oncoming dawn.

"Miss you too," he murmurs.

She climbs off the bed, smoothing out her pyjamas. "I want to leave soon. It won't be an easy trip back. It's better to get going quickly," she says. "I'll pack up. Do you want to tell Oscar about—"

"Mhm," he answers.

"Okay, sounds good."

She walks to the stairs, resting her hand against the railing. She tilts her head back slightly as she looks around the house, her lips twitching upwards in a melancholy smile before she heads down, leaving Diaval alone.

----------

"Leaving already?" Oscar asks, scratching at his thin blond hair. He chuckles. "Well, have a safe trip, y'hear?"

Destiny nods, tugging her backpack further up on her shoulder. "We will." Diaval seconds the statement with a nod, habitually straightening his bow and quiver.

Oscar exhales, his hand trailing from his hair to his broad neck. "And...uh, don't be afraid to come back if you ever need me, eh?" he says. "It's nice having you around. That little house needed some tenants anyways and..." He glances back at his own farmhouse. "It's just good to have company."

"Diaval will be coming back soon," Destiny says. "He's just making sure I make it home safe."

"New York, huh?" Oscar asks. When she nods, he smirks. "It's a heck of a trip. You've got enough supplies and everything?"

"With what you've given us, it's more than enough," Destiny responds. "I've lived off less."

They drift into silence, just looking between one another. Oscar extends his hand to Destiny, something she takes. They shake firmly.

"Good luck out there, kiddo," he says. "Have fun with the Japanese swords and...and everything."

"Thanks Oscar." She smiles. "Have fun with the Canadian farming...and everything."

She turns and heads towards the dirt road leading away from the farmhouse, but Diaval doesn't yet move to follow her. He stares at Oscar, his eyes starting to itch and his chest tight.

"Oscar, if...if Melanie comes by, can you tell her that..." He coughs. "That...uh..."

Oscar's blue eyes twinkle. "I'll let her know that you're coming back, son. Don't worry."

Diaval nods and starts to turn, but stops again. "And, if 'm gonna come back, will the house still be there?"

Oscar's smile grows and he steps closer. "Home will always be here, Diaval. Nobody else deserves that house but you."

Tears swell in his eyes and he blinks rapidly. "H-Home?"

Oscar nods. Diaval feels his heart start to pound even more and, spurred by the influx of emotion, he wraps his arms around Oscar's shoulders. It's an awkward and stiff hug, but it's a hug nonetheless and Oscar accepts it with all the warmth he can muster.

"Don't get weepy on me, kid," he teases lightly, releasing him. He rests one hand on Diaval's shoulder and squeezes once before letting go. "Better catch up to Destiny or she might leave you behind."

Diaval nods and bows his head. "Bye Oscar. See you."

He pivots and starts to jog away, catching up to the wolf mutant rather easily despite how often he nearly trips. She smiles up at him, her fangs glinting in the sunlight.

"Ready?" she asks.

"Yeah, ready."